Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Phone Number Format Consistency (xxx) xxx-xxxx

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the phone numbers typed in automatically change to the format of (xxx) xxx-xxxx? I noticed that this automatic change occurs when typing in number for the "Next of Kin" in charting, but not in other phone number fill-ins. If it's not possible due accommodations for other phone number formats, I understand. Thank you!

41 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hallie shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
Acknowledged  ·  Matthew Douglass responded  · 

Thanks for helping make the Practice Fusion EHR better for everyone. If you are passionate about this idea, remember you can let your colleagues know you support it by clicking the ‘Vote’ button.

The ideas with the most supporters are constantly being considered for addition to our roadmap in the future.

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kay Hovious commented  · 

I find phone numbers formatted as (xxx) xxx-xxxx easier to read and to remember for dialing purposes. I notice that when I set up new client via the calendar using this format that the number in the profile returns as xxx/xxx/xxx. Is it possible for the number to return as (xxx) xxx-xxxx when entered via the calendar?

• Kay Hovious commented  · 

Auto formatting would be a significant time saver. This should be a simple fix and would be so helpful.

• Mrs Jennifer Muhammad commented  · 

I agree, the phone number when entered should automatically populate with the structure of (xxx) xxx-xxxx as with the other telephone numbers within the patient's profile. Thank you for understanding.

• John commented  · 

Xxx can you give me your phone number and can you call me my phone number is 6787553083

• Anonymous commented  · 

The same happens for prior auth forms. All phone and fax numbers need to be re-entered to meet the proper format duplicating work for the provider or nurse who completes these forms.

• Dr Peter Bresler commented  · 

The only phone number field for which there is auto-formatting is the patient's phone number. Other phone number fields including the guarantor and next of kin do not, and hyphens must be manually inserted.

• Dr Peter Bresler commented  · 

Phone numbers in the patient profile for guarantor and next of kin do not auto-format...they should!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Current format for phone and fax is without dashes. This is hard to read and hard to identify.

Instead, change format to (XXX) XXX-XXXX

• PAUL SILBERT commented  · 

Please automatically put hyphen in Next of Kin phone numbers (like is done for patient home phone number and cell phone number).

Feedback and Knowledge Base