Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Phase out ICD-9 entirely

We are now more than 6 months past the ICD-9-->ICD-10 transition and I don't need ICD-9 for my practice anymore. We would like for it to be removed from our daily workflow.

130 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Paul Sorell shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Partially Resolved  ·  Aliza responded  · 

Hello everyone – as of 12/5/17, ICD-9 codes have been removed from the diagnosis display in the patient Summary, encounter note, and superbill. Additionally, ICD-9 codes are hidden when viewing individual diagnosis details, though you can always expand the details to view mapped codes if needed. While you are still able to search by ICD-9 code, search results will return only the diagnosis description and ICD-10 code.

Please note that this request is considered partially resolved as ICD-9 codes will continue to transfer over from the superbill to integrated billing systems for the time being.

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Veronica commented  · 

I am a new user of Practice Fusion. It seems there has been a request to eliminate the ICD9 codes, lots of agreement but they are still there - is there any way to turn off the old codes? As a new practice, I cannot afford to have encounters rejected by insurers; they give us a hard enough time for a lot of other things.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Pease remove ICD9 codes from super bill! It takes extra time to remove each of them and Carriers will deny if ICD9 codes appear. Which in turn slows down payment for providers.

• Allen Snow commented  · 

Please help to remove the ICD-9.
        Insurance companies won't see bills with ICD-9 code on it.

• Kira T. commented  · 

It seems like eliminating ICD9 codes will be helpful for all of us. Glad to know that it's an issue for other practices!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Yes please remove ICD 9 codes, bills are getting denied because the old codes are on them.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Insurance companies won't pay patient bills that still show an ICD-9 code on it.. Please remove them from superbills.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Yes. Please remove the ICD-9 codes. Bills are being rejected because of them.

• Mrs Lauren Sanders commented  · 

Claims are being denied because the superbill has ICD 9 codes on them, please give the option to include or delete these from the superbill.

• Anonymous commented  · 

There should be a way to eliminate or bypass the ICD-9 codes when creating a superbill. When I try to enter the ICD-10 codes, the system forces me to also choose an ICD-9 code & many of the ICD-9 codes are inappropriate. There are many instances where the codes do not translate from ICD-9 to ICD-10 & should not be used. Why are ICD-9 codes still being used, anyway?

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please phase out ICD 9 codes. Bills are getting rejected due to these being listed. Thank you

• Sachiko Oshio commented  · 

As Judith Forster states below, Insurance companies won't pay patient bills that still show an ICD-9 code on it, even though there is also an ICD - 10 code. Please remove it from superbills.

• Dr Ami Laws commented  · 

IS THERE ANYWAY TO REMOVE ICD 9 CODING FROM PRINTABLE SUPERBILL. FILED CLAIMS HAVE BEEN REJECTED DUE TO ICD 9 CODING ON BILL. WE WOULD LIKE TO ONLY HAVE THE ICD 10 CODING ON THE PRINTED SUPERBILLS.

• Judith Forster commented  · 

Insurance companies won't pay patient bills that still show an ICD-9 code on it, even though there is also an ICD - 10 code. Please remove it from superbills.

• Anonymous commented  · 

ICD9 codes are an unnecessary redundancy and affect browser functioning. Some of our computers must have specific settings for security reasons that do not allow full view when "refining diagnoses" for ICD 9 making it impossible to complete the superbill. This delays the days work significantly.

• J Steve Mayo commented  · 

In the realm of medical records, the records from pre-ICD-10 must remain in "working" order, and can't be altered, so I don't think they will ever vanish completely.

• Donald Kuzyk commented  · 

Stop listing the diagnosis codes with the ICD-9 codes in the Summary part of the patient chart.

ICD-10 should be used.

• Carol commented  · 

Please remove ICD 9's from the superbills. They have not been valid for over a year, and cause problems when patients file with insurance.

• Michael Esplin commented  · 

I would like to be able to remove the ICD-9 codes from the superbill. My patients send in their superbills to insurance companies, and some companies actually refuse to reimburse them because the ICD-9 code is there even though the ICD-10 code is also there.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base