Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Ideas to improve the Medication List

The medication list is the life blood of my practice. I see you have disabled the list. While I am in the chart note, or any part of the chart for that matter, I would like to drop down the medication list like a shade from the top of the page. It should be a full screen list all the way across. It should include all medications with dates updated and prescribed. I want to have better tracking of medications, which ones were tried, why they didn't work, why they were discontinued, etc. I know the information is available, but I would like to see it instantly while I am talking with the patient without drilling down to each medication.

477 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wayne Whitwam shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

72 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • William Katibah commented  · 

RIght now in New EHR one cannot even see the directions for each med in list. I think it is more important to see when the LAST Rx was written, not the first Rx. It is not often important to know when one started the med, but more important for Rx refills and at office visits to know the last Rx given. In the new EHR, it is impossible to see the original Rx date and the most recent Rx date.

• Deborah Seelig commented  · 

Please add stop date beside the start date on the meds window in the chart note, kind of like you already have in the profile.

It would be VERY nice to incorporate many of the features already noted by just hovering the mouse over the meds area to get the big picture view for each Rx, instead of having top open up each drug.

• Doctor B commented  · 

Yes, yes and yes.
    New things I like: the uniformly generic names for meds, the alphabetical order always, not just after clicking. Bravo for those.
    It's just horribly inaccessible.
    I agree with a wider and longer and more compactly printed list, because I really liked having the old information of prior refills and sigs visible on the list, so I didn't have to click on each med to get that info, and then try to remember that one while clicking on another one.
    Bonus points if you can let the Med list "float,"(as you did with Message Reply), to keep it visible until I close it, even while changing screens to see other parts of the chart.

• Junjie commented  · 

concern Topic: "the new version of EHR, I can not see each prescription refill history"

I logged in to new version of Practice fusion EHR. I noticed that in prescription section, my patients' medications refill history was missing. For chronic issues' medications, I need to know how many refills the patient has, so I can give a refill in appropriate time. I need help to see each medication refill history. We need to know when was last time the medication was refilled for how many refills. The old version has very clear views in terms of when the prescription was started, refill history and how many refill left for the patient. In new version, I even can not see the prescription record- when and where I sent the prescription, and doses and refills. Please fix this issue BEFORE moving to new version for prescription. It's risky practice not knowing prescription history. I am taking care of elderly with chronic issues most of time. Thank you.

• JR commented  · 

Claudia wrote: "We would like the old RX list. It was easier to understand and was easier to work with to find the date of last RX given to patients. We need to be able to view on one screen in a list format all scripts and the details of each time is was prescribed. sig, quantity & refills."

I fully agree with this!

• JR commented  · 

another clinician commented: "Med list previously showed refill dates and numbers of refills, now, you have to click each individual medication. This information needs to be back on list for quick review with patients."

I fully agree that feature needs to be re-instated. So when looking in my SOAP note in the "plan" section I can see the meds AND most recent refills and dates. To have the most recent refill showing first in the list!

• JR commented  · 

I agree that the New Med format is inferior to the Old format.

In the old format, when prescribing for each med we could see all of the med refill info on one box, review it, and click "prescribe".

Now, we have to scroll down in a small box, and the words are more difficult to see.

• Dr Amy Daniher commented  · 

need to be albe to see the entire med list and work iwth it. right now the only way to see the entire list is if you click the button to go into print mode.. and of couse in this mode you can't do anything with any of the medications on the list. no being able to expand it into a larger window in the summary section or the soap note section is a big problem in my eyes.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Med list previously showed refill dates and numbers of refills, now, you have to click each individual medication. This information needs to be back on list for quick review with patients.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It has been said already but it would make it SO much easier if the LAST fill date showed first. Patient calls wanting to know when last refill of XYZ was sent. Right now we have to open the chart, go to medications, find med, open it, scroll down to bottom to get the answer. The original start date is RARELY used on a day to day basis. I would love to be able to open the chart, look at meds list, see med and the last refill date without ever having to open it up.

• Dr Kevin Lue commented  · 

Also list the diagnoses by dates too. I think there's an error in the Summary tab where it lists by the month despite the year.

• Dr Angus Matheson commented  · 

I really need to see the med name, the dose, the sig in a grid. And I need to see all of it together on one page without having to scroll. I am happy with the active and historical. My biggest problem is duplicates. I wish there was a way to label a medication as duplicate - so I don't have to label it as stopped, when the patient is actively taking it. Same problem when increasing dose, I have to discontinue 10mg of a medication to erx 20mg - but the system doesn't have an option to label that - "Switch of other treatment" or "other" - are poor for this very common occurrence.

• Tracy commented  · 

Our summary page lists medication in alphabetically order, not by date at all. What this does is makes us scroll through to find med than look at dates. It is very time consuming.

• IH commented  · 

We should also be able to modify/change dose of medication without having to delete the medication and add it back at new dose. This should be one step rather than multiple.

• Sandy commented  · 

on the summary page, the medication list should at least show the last refill date rather than the start date

• Dr Erik van Ginkel commented  · 

at least show the last date prescribed on top , not the start date

• Anonymous commented  · 

Need to be able to change the pts pharmacy, I cannot find an easy way to do this aside from d/c the medication and then tyiping everything out again.

• Dr Edward Kremer commented  · 

I need to be able to enter a future stop date for medications while writing the prescription. Typing the end date or clicking the end date on the calendar tab works, but then the medication cannot be prescribed. I have to prescribe the medicine, then go back to the med list to show future stop date.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please reinstitute being able to see the refill history below each medication without having to click on it.

• Claudia commented  · 

We would like the old RX list. It was easier to understand and was easier to work with to find the date of last RX given to patients. We need to be able to view on one screen in a list format all scripts and the details of each time is was prescribed. sig, quantity & refills.

Feedback and Knowledge Base