Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Automated phone and text message appointment reminders

It would be nice for the patient to receive a call or text for appointment reminders. It would make it easier on office staff who are too busy in a day to do appointment reminders. It also would eliminate a lot of no show appointments.

2,580 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dr Tuan Ta shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

268 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dr Marc Tanenbaum commented  · 

Since my EHR is not open & staffed 8-5, I need SMS notification of new patient messages to me or designated staff in order to respond in a timely manner. Alternatively, an automated email to me or designated staff that there is work to do would work. Can this option be created for use when needed? Thank you.

• Anonymous commented  · 

are text appointment reminders in place now? when you look in a patients demo area there is a box that you can check that says send mobile text notifications?

• Dr Noah Weiss commented  · 

Even if a patient has to opt in to get a text appointment reminder, this is still a feature that Practice Fusion should definitely have. People do not necessarily regularly check email, and not all patients even have email . Pretty much everyone has a cell phone and uses text messaging. Please provide this service!!

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree with this! I work out of a volunteer doctors office, where everyone has a primary full time job. It is hard to consistently check practice fusion out of office. It would certainly be a lot easier to check only as needed when there were messages pending.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Any potential you would work with an outside vendor?

• Dr Manoj Waikar commented  · 

yes! this would be a great feature b/c i too don't log in on a daily basis. for me, an email or text alert telling me that i have an e-rx refill request would be immensely valuable and like others have stated, such alerts would not have to contain any PHI at all so i don't see why such a simple notification can't be done. thanks!
    manoj waikar

• Dr Lyndon Taylor commented  · 

The medical record needs a place to document when the next visit is, before you can automate the reminder.
    Return to Clinic - RTC 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year.

• Mrs Mary Gautreau commented  · 

May I suggest that when the email reminders come over that they reflect that they are coming from the name of the practice and then once they open the reminder it can say practice fusion etc etc etc. Most pt's do not know what practice fusion is when they see it in their email but are more likely to open email if it is their medical practice emailing them

• Dr Stephanie King commented  · 

agreed, this is highly needed. many of our patients do not have email and it is staff time we don't have to do this. would be very helpful.

• Angus Matheson MD commented  · 

That sounds overwhelming. And we are already getting an alert in PF. I think make the alert system within PF better (I keep wanting something more than the white letters in the gray box are the far left. I loved the red numbers of Old EMR, and they were about mid visual field so impossible to miss). I wonder if providers want this during working hours or after hours. During the day when we are working we are seeing messages as they come in. But after hours and on weekends, I suspect it is easy to not sign in and miss a new message. If you were going to implement this would it be possible to do only e-mail for message that occur outside of clinic hours? I suspect that would reduce the number of e-mail messages as well.

• Ray commented  · 

Is it possible to set up a process where the staff can "choose" to send the reminders by text by clicking a checkbox for those to send the text reminder to. This would get away from a "robo" type process.

• Mary Strebel commented  · 

Our dentist office texted me and asked if we would like to receive appt reminders by text. It was as easy as that. We did not have to go to their EHR site.
    Thanks.

Mary Strebel

• Hi Sedi--this is currently not a feature that we offer.

This is something we have considered adding. The complicated aspect of this is that every patient must log in to Patient Fusion to authorize (opt-in to) these text alerts before we’re allowed to send them out on your behalf.

The FCC is clear about this rule: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/spam-unwanted-text-messages-and-email

Feedback and Knowledge Base