Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Medication List Duplicates

I don't know about other docs but I cannot seem to keep my Rx list accurate by the date prescribed.. I end up deleting duplicate prescriptions.. sometimes this happens because an e refill is okay'ed and then gets a separate line but identical name in the Rx list.. (doesn't always happen --?) Sometimes a generic is requested and then brand and generic are each listed. Sometimes all I am changing is the dose.. I would like to be able to follow the chronology of the dose increases under one segment but to change the dose, the med has to go into Past meds.. It would be better to have the name of the drug, and then the dose in a separate category, instead of Name and dose listed in the same field.

228 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

melanie_md@ymail.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
Acknowledged  ·  Matthew Douglass responded  · 

Thanks for helping make the Practice Fusion EHR better for everyone. If you are passionate about this idea, remember you can let your colleagues know you support it by clicking the ‘Vote’ button.

The ideas with the most supporters are constantly being considered for addition to our roadmap in the future.

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Carolyn commented  · 

I agree with the original observation that the current system of medications is very confusing. When I look at a patients list of medications I should see what the patient is taking NOW, not when a medication was started or have three different listings because of three different doses prescribed. What the patient takes is NOT identical to what is prescribed-- in fact, the doses that we work out with patients often best no resemblance to a manufactured dose-- we need a medication list separate from prescriptions - the mefication list is where we should be able to easily indicate dose changes and directions for hoe to increase or decrease doses that prescriptions don't easily reflect. I'm sure I'm not the only doctor who hopes never to have this system lead to s terrible mistake, if not mine, some one else's .

• William Gilmer commented  · 

1. would appreciate brand/generic recognized by PF as the same drug - unless it is marked "DO NOT SUBSTITUTE".

2. would appreciate "reason for change" = change dose
    3. would appreciate follow a med through all its changes grouped together

• Mrs Andrea Petras commented  · 

needs to alert you of duplicate medication when a brand name vs generic medication is entered in prescription list. both names should appear on the list together when entered.

"dosage change" is also my most frequent reason for discontinuation of a med, and should be included in the drop down list of options.

• Thomas Phillips commented  · 

The "reasons for discontinuation" drop down menu needs to also include "dosage change." This is the most frequent reason that I stop a medicine.

• Monica commented  · 

I agree when we print the med list for the patient it should just show at least the last 4-6 months the medication was prescribed and the older dates should be archived for office use. So that way we are not printing out several pages of just one prescription for the patient.

• Dr Robert Delapenha commented  · 

Adding a feature where the system alerts you when you are adding a medication already on the list would help to reduce the number of medication duplicates. Such a system should be able to identify generic and brand names as being identical: eg adding ibuprofen 800mg when Motrin 800mg is already listed should prompt an alert.

• Anonymous commented  · 

when I receive a refill request from the pharmacy, it enters on the patient med list as another medicine. It causes there to be many duplicates on their med list making it useless to give to patients. Please change the med refills so that they interact with the patients medication list in their chart

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree, there are too many duplicate meds when the e-scripts are refilled I have to delete/discontinue each and every one of them e-script refills and it takes a lot of time which is tough because we have a fast paced office flow please fix

• Doctor B commented  · 

There is a big glitch that adds a "new" medication every time I complete a refill request sent by a pharmacy. The refilled prescription should show up as a dated refill line under the existing medication that's already listed. Also, I hate that we've lost the ability to see the whole Rx with sig and # of refills by hovering over it, that was really helpful. Now we have to click and wait for a big pop-up to appear and then close the pop-up.

• Kathy Wilmering commented  · 

I just commented supporting melanie_md@ymail.com's idea for being able to follow the chronology of dosage changes. I didn't see a way to fill in my name, so I'll sign it here: Kathy Wilmering, ARNP

• Kathy Wilmering commented  · 

A big yes to being able to change the dose without having to discontinue the medication in the program and then re-enter it with a different dose as though it were a different medication. I'd like to look back over the history of a medication through its dosage changes and their dates.

At least have a category under "reason for stopping" like "dosage change". "Other" is too vague.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree----big problem with duplication on script list when doing electronic refills. This leads to too many reconcile messages on Tasks among the other problems listed above.

This is a big problem that begs for some inventive ideas and solutioNs.

Feedback and Knowledge Base