Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Granular Permissions

We were setup as MDs so we could have administrative rights. Most of us are physician assistants. PAs should be labeled appropriately.

267 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James Quinn shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
Acknowledged  ·  Matthew Douglass responded  · 

Thanks for helping make the Practice Fusion EHR better for everyone. If you are passionate about this idea, remember you can let your colleagues know you support it by clicking the ‘Vote’ button.

The ideas with the most supporters are constantly being considered for addition to our roadmap in the future.

60 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cyndi Chizek commented  · 

Health Coaches need these abilities too

• Mr Damian Carrillo commented  · 

There are non-medical personnel who perform Quality Assurance, Reporting, and Addenda to existing appointments. When a user is given an assignment to create a note indicating a change on a chart to save the medical staff time, why do the physicians in turn need to sign said changes?

It seems like it would be relatively straightforward to give administrators the ability to create custom permission levels within the system, so if there's a dozen editors who need to make changes already approved by the physicians, they'll be able to sign off on those entries while the transcribers, whose work needs to be reviewed, cannot. We have non-medical personnel that assist with administrator-level functions, and need full access, but does not need to be able to sign-off on notes.

Per-user settings customization by the individual users for things such as sort order, search field behavior, and other common default settings would be useful as well.

• Scott Hackenbruch commented  · 

I think it is completely ridiculous that a nurse, MA, or receptionist cannot sign a document that they create such as a telephone note, or an injection, etc. I as a provider should not be signing these. Another provider on this forum stated it like this and I concurr:

"Nurses/ Medcial assistants should be able to sign off on those tasks that they create and direct without direct Physician oversite e.g. Telephone encounters, Injections given, and of course Nurses notes.
    WE literally have almost 10,000 unsigned notes on our system and they will stay that way because us physicians are not going to waist time reviewing every single transaction of our staff. WE only review if there is a problem or discrepancy"

• Jun Xu commented  · 

I have nurses to do blood tests and PPD readings but she can't document in the EHR unless I do it in my account. Nurses should be able to document and sign off "nursing only" encounters. Otherwise the nursing only visit is useless.

• J Steve Mayo commented  · 

Please consider a per-user on/off setting about being visible on the patient portal. Currently all staff are shown with messaging and scheduling statuses. Some staff never schedule, and should not be included in the list.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Allow administrators to make the choice of who in their staff is allowed to edit encounters.

• jacob worrell commented  · 

I believe that there should be an option to Limit or Monitor what a user has access to. especially a Read/Only permission level. or a notification if a specific user deletes or changes anything.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Nurses/ Medcial assistants should be able to sign off on those tasks that they create and direct without direct Physician oversite e.g. Telephone encounters, Injections given, and of course Nurses notes.
    WE literally have almost 10,000 unsigned notes on our system and they will stay that way because us physicians are not going to waist time reviewing every single transaction of our staff. WE only review if there is a problem or discrepancy

• Jermaine Ferrell commented  · 

Staff should be able to put in phone message notes and doctor can sign off on it.

• Mrs Kathy Crowell commented  · 

NP/PA's need to be able to sign off on their on charts. Nurses should also be able to sign off on things such as injections given.

• Raquel Rios Office Manager commented  · 

Allow nurses to sign off documents and staff members. Currently only NP and MD are allowed to sign off documents however, staff and nurses are the ones uploaded to chart.

• Mr Kyle McCall commented  · 

The functionality is great; though it is understood this is more marketed towards the medical fields, I feel the mental health community would love to utilize this product if we could use it within our own specified functionality and community.

• Dr. Church commented  · 

Staff at the front desk should be able to record a telephone call. I don't like having to upgrade them to a nurse just so they can write down the chief complaint or what a parent/patient reports in a phone call.

• Ms Pamela Porter commented  · 

Would like to see an access level of "therapist" or "other provider" added. We have people in the office that need to sign chart notes that aren't physicians.

• Mrs Stephanie Giordano-Foster commented  · 

The RN, MD, NP status that is chosen in the individual user does not appear to show up on orders, therefor we have added the initial after the 1st name. This is a work around, at the moment, the signing of a note can only be complete if you are an MD, and in NY state an NP can sign off on a note, therefor we have been forced to use PFs term MD, for our NPs since this information does not appear to show up anywhere else, rather than in the EMR, its a workaround for the moment. Once this changes, we will need to know so that I can remove the initials. Thank you!

• Gresham Counseling and Therapy LLC commented  · 

I have to list myself as a Dr. (and Patient Fusion refers to me as such), but I'm actually a non-medical provider for mental health services. I need charts and SOAP notes and total administrative access to use the EHR, but to do so, I essentially have to lie about my education and occupation. Can we have the Access Level 4 simply refer to "Clinician" or "Provider" to reflect the broader range of titles and professions and disconnect it from MD, DO, or Phys degrees?

• heather commented  · 

We have issues from time to time with providers altering the schedule without notifying anyone. I.E. they will move a new patient to another provider because the don't want to see the patient. Or they schedule patients on their own, without notifying the office staff, and sometimes the scheduling is outside the practice parameters. There needs to be a way that only certain users can alter the schedule.

• Keely Godwin, MD commented  · 

Our problem at this point is that we have to give our medical assistants the same level of permissions as our physician providers so that they can sign off documents. The primary documents they're having to sign are things like scanned ECG or in office lab results. Since the provider has already signed the hard copy, there's no need for electronic signature.
    As mentioned above, we'd like to be able to assign specific permissions to each user, while allowing them to have the appropriate label (physician or mid-level, nursing staff, medical assistant, etc). This would also eventually include specific permissions for staff authorization on medication refills (allowing a staff member to deny an e-refill request per standing orders, for example), generating prescriptions for providers to sign, scanning and signing documents, etc.

• Andy Whitney commented  · 

We operate a Telemedicine service where our physicians cover inpatient services for multiple rural hospitals. We need the physician to view/edit patients in all the hospitals we cover, but we don't want one hospital to be able to view or edit patients from another hospital.

• Vanessa Salmo commented  · 

Scribes are an essential part of my workflow as a physician, they do all of my charting. I would like to have scribe as a level under users

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base