Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Improved Patient Searching

When you go to type in pt's name it would be nice for the name to automatically start coming up and then you choose the correct name cause now you have to type in there first and last name and if you do not spell it correctly it wont come up at all and then you have to x out of it go back on your main screen and find the correct spelling of the name then go back in and type it again

911 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tina Martin shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
Acknowledged  ·  Matthew Douglass responded  · 

Thanks for helping make the Practice Fusion EHR better for everyone. If you are passionate about this idea, remember you can let your colleagues know you support it by clicking the ‘Vote’ button.

The ideas with the most supporters are constantly being considered for addition to our roadmap in the future.

95 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  · 

Practice Fusion has added a lot of great functionality but at the expense of not being so intuitive as initially. For those who are not overly EHR savvy (or for the occasional brain glitch that can happen to anyone) a search feature that would instantly go to the topic that a user wanted to go to without having to find it through multiple pages and drop down lists would be very useful and a time saver. I have never seen this feature incorporated into an EHR before and I think this idea represents the kind of forward thinking Practice Fusion is known and appreciated for. Keep up the great work.
    Mel

• Dr Erica Vislobokova commented  · 

Sometimes we have missed calls and patients do not leave their name. It would be nice to search patient profiles by phone number.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Searching for a patient using birthdate should not require a leading zero in either month or day. For example 8/5/2003 should find the patient. Currently this search will fail unless entered as 08/05/2003

• Anonymous commented  · 

We would like to be able to search for patients by their phone number. We often have patient call our office and leave a voicemail, forgetting to leave their identifying information on the voicemail such as date of birth. This results in delays where our office has to call the patient asking who they are, or we have to open our old EMR and check if their phone number is in there. This seems like something that could be easily be implemented and would be greatly appreciated.

• Anonymous commented  · 

We would like to be able to search for a patient by phone number, as well as name, DOB, PRN and SSN

• Keely Godwin, MD commented  · 

We've been very disconcerted to find that we can no longer search by first name only. We often will get messages from patients whose last name is hard to recall the exact spelling of, and with the new search, if you put in a misspelled version of their name, nothing comes up (we used to get lists of the closest approximation or similar names). We need this back, as we often will search for a first name and even a letter of the last name and we'll get zero search results, but if we search with only a last name, our desired patient may show up (but only if it's spelled correctly).
    Please give us back our "closets approximation" list!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Can you eliminate patient list click and make it only one big box to search patients. Clicking the list and then writing info to search patients is unnecessary.

• David commented  · 

Enable the system find patients by any string that matches the string entered in the search bar. For example, if there are 20 clients with the first 5 letters that are the same, but the 6th,7th, 8th are more unique, then I may want to search by that name. For example, searching by the initial letters of "cha" may produce many results, but "pman" will produce few when looking for "chapman".

• Patricia Folsom commented  · 

sometimes we have pts. with heavy accents leave messages and don't know their name but can search by the home/work/cell phone number fields to find them - can this be added?

• Ms Robbie Bauder commented  · 

I would find it VERY HELPFUL to be able to "sort" "look for" patients based on their (i.e. cell or home phone number or email address). Right now I can ONLY look for patients by name or DOB. I use text messaging with patients all the time. And sometimes I receive a text from a patient (AND THEY FORGET TO INCLUDE THEIR NAME.) Well, I would like to be able to copy that phone # that texted me, plug it into practice fusion and get a populated patient chart (get a match!). I would LOVE that!!!!

• Mrs Sherry Face commented  · 

The patient search used to retain the list of people found until we changed the name in the search box but now the list disappears and we have to retype the name and wait for the list to repopulate for each family member we want to access. We would like to see the search go back to the way it was originally.

• Anonymous commented  · 

need an easy way to clear the search boxes & close all open charts, or at least have a "quick search" area. If I'm looking up multiple patients, it gets tiresome to have to clear the search boxes before moving on to the next patient.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Searching and listing patients by state would help us determine which imaging centers and labs to send our patients to.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It will be lot easier and faster if:
    Patients search starts with a box that is at the right side of the screen in all the section of the EMR.
    The box can pull out patient's name with either demographic infor mation such as name or DOB.
    Be sensitive to any portion of the demographic and list all patients that share same letter or number as it gets entered into that box to the final one that show the patient. Also can pull the patient with DOB with or without zero before the day or month of DOB. Same for year with and without 19 or 20. Gives signal if information is not following standard path to hit the person to correct it before the end.

• Michael commented  · 

Sorting by Patient Record Number again would be great!

• Anonymous commented  · 

It would be nice if we didn't have to type in full names, and if they would start showing up after first 3 letters like it did before.
    Also, right now when I type in a last name, choose my patient, and want to use the same last name to open their brother's chart, it will not allow us to. We have to go in and retype the name.

Also, if you could make a way to search by phone number and/or SSN, that would be nice. We have a lot of people with the same and last name and a lot of the time there birthdays are a few days apart. It would be nice to have an additional way to look them up and determine which is the one we are looking for.
    And last, If you could please make the change to where it does not bring up inactive patients any more, unless we are looking for the inactive chart, that would be great.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please have the patients name populate over to new patient after you have searched for the patient. It is very frustrating to have to type in the last name twice.
    Thank you

Feedback and Knowledge Base