Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Change SOAP note type to "No Show" if patient cancels or no-shows

Currently, when a patient is a no show or has cancelled their appt, we can see this under the Appointment tab.
However, when the appt is generated, it creates an encounter. As the appt is no longer valid, the dr still has to go in and sign off on this to take it out of their task list.
Because we track these no-shows and cancellations, we do not delete them. I would like the option under the encounter to list the "Encounter Type" as a No-Show or Cancellation. (Currently I use "Letter" and put information on the no-show of cancellation in the complaint field. There is nothing else more appropriate to use) Also in the "Note Type" you have the option for Cancelled Appt. Can you also list No-show?

We are trying to keep this from going against the meaningful use numbers...
Thanks-

1,688 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ms Kathleen Mancini shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Resolved  ·  Nina responded  · 

Hi everyone – As of 1/19/2017, we have introduced a new schedule setting to all practices that allows administrators to determine if encounters will be auto-generated for appointments marked as cancelled or no-show.

You can read more about schedule settings here: http://knowledgebase.practicefusion.com/knowledgebase/articles/482832

We have also introduced a new Appointment Report that allows practices to review and filter appointments by facility, status, provider, and date, making it easier to track cancellations, no shows, and other scheduling details.

You can read more about the new Appointment Report here:

http://knowledgebase.practicefusion.com/knowledgebase/articles/1124125

88 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SSB commented  · 

I don't believe this issue has been resolved in its entirety.
        When a client is seen the chief complaint in the Soap note has the time documented of when the client was checked in and seen. What needs to be added to the SOAP note in the chief complaint section for No shows and cancellation is the "no show" or "cancelled" icon and the reason, if any is provided. This would eliminate the extra step for the provider going back to the schedule or encounter section to check why the SOAP note is in the task section and no times are provided. Note preparation and completion is a long process already.

FCMBH, Office Manager

• Claudia commented  · 

We have set up the system to not generate a soap note for appointments that are switched to "cancelled" or "no show". This saves our admin a lot of time. We use the "note" type-in-window that pops up when switching the appointment status from "pending" to "cancelled" to record the reason for cancelling so we know the barriers our patients have to getting to their appointment. It would be nice if when running a report under the "appointment report" functionality and narrowed by appointment status=cancellation, there was a section that showed the contents of the type-in-note so that we could quickly quantify the reasons patients are not making it into clinic.

• Mrs Stacey Scott commented  · 

Our practice utilizes the auto generated appt encounter to track No Shows, cancellations, and to track when someone needs a return call. Because the encounter is already generated it reduces are workload. if someone no shows, the task that is created is then assigned to our receptionists to call the patient back, and document in the chief complaint if the patient has been reached. We also utilize the note portion to generate a letter to send to the patient saying that they missed their appointment, and remind them of our No show policy. If this was removed, it would completely hinder our workflow. Perhaps there can be the option of choosing whether the encounter is generated just like it is for the "superbill tasks".

• Ms Andrea Farrington commented  · 

Would like to not have to go into chart to delete chart note if patient is marked as a no show or cancelled appt.

• jacob worrell commented  · 

There should be a way that providers, or the front desk, can either make No-Shows and Cancellations auto-delete, or have an option to be able to mass delete previous encounters for the no-shows and cancellations.

• Dr Markitta Barnett commented  · 

It would be great to no have an encounter automatically created and allow us to create encounters as needed.

• Ms Stephanie Hutchens commented  · 

Currently, when a patient appointment is changed from pending to anything else, an encounter is created. Having them automatically change from "office visit" "SOAP" to "No Show" or "Cancelled" would help my tasks list for the day immensely.

• Mr Dan Buschor commented  · 

We do not need an encounter or superbill for a no show or cancellation.

• William Gilmer commented  · 

Agree with comments of Sonya Bumpers 6/6/2016: Hello, As this seems to be an ongoing issue with so many. This office suggestion is what seems simple for us.
        If there is a No Show or Cancelled Notice selected for a visit, there should be a auto-fill populated in the encounter that simply prints NO Show or Cancelled, and notes No Signature required by the provider. These notes should maybe be flagged a Orange or Blue color or something simple for the reviewer to know that they can avoid looking at the encounter.
        This is a issue that needs fast attention and resolved quickly.
        In this office the precept has to view all encounters and it slows him time.
        The No- Shows and Cancelled patients are counted for daily summery and monthly reporting.
        Thank you.

• Mrs Kathy Holt commented  · 

I agree with this, right now with the schedule automatically generating an encounter and superbill for patients that are "No Show" or cancel their appointment creates far too many unecessary steps! It would also be best if no superbill would be entered in to the task list for no show and cancelled patients. I will not turn off the superbill task feature because it is needed in order to keep track of the superbills that I need to scrub prior to marking ready for biller (I am the biller). A little more control of the encounters/superbills would be beneficial!

• Margaret commented  · 

We recently started using the No Show and Cancelled option in PF scheduler and like everyone else, discovered that it still creates an encounter despite the patient not being seen. This has caused our Tasks to go up considerably. When you delete the encounter it is still listed as No Show or Cancelled under the Appointments section but it does create more work for our providers. We do not need an encounter for a no show or cancellation. It would be easier to create one IF NEEDED.

• Dr Sangeeta Garg commented  · 

my office currently has over 1000 of these types of encounters and we now have to go back to each and everyone one to delete since the patient cancelled and it shows as an encounter. this is very confusing. Please change this or make it so that when patient is a no show or cancelled that no encounter is formed!

• Anonymous commented  · 

hello. yes. this is a daily problem. please fix this. my staff mark the encounter as cancell. but it still shows in my tasks.

• Sonya Bumpers commented  · 

Hello, As this seems to be an ongoing issue with so many. This office suggestion is what seems simple for us.
        If there is a No Show or Cancelled Notice selected for a visit, there should be a auto-fill populated in the encounter that simply prints NO Show or Cancelled, and notes No Signature required by the provider. These notes should maybe be flagged a Orange or Blue color or something simple for the reviewer to know that they can avoid looking at the encounter.
        This is a issue that needs fast attention and resolved quickly.
        In this office the precept has to view all encounters and it slows him time.
        The No- Shows and Cancelled patients are counted for daily summery and monthly reporting.
        Thank you.

• Dr Mark Farag commented  · 

These blank SOAPs creates a lot of extra work for myself and the staff. When going through unsigned encounters in my tasks, many of them end up being blank SOAPs from patient cancellations and no-shows and it takes up so much time to go through and delete each note individually.

• Mr Nathaniel Gay commented  · 

I think that if you mark patient as a no show or cancelled, that a task to sign the encounter and complete the superbill should not be created. The only way to avoid a task being created to sign the encounter and complete superbill is to delete the appointment/encounter completely. However, this makes tracking no shows and cancels impossible. I think that if you mark no show or cancel, that there should be an option to create or not create a task for that encounter OR that it should automatically make it so no task to sign encounter or complete superbill is even created. I hope you will fix this or provide some other solution. Otherwise I am left to just delete the appointment completely.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please do not create an encounter for canceled or no show appointments.

• Jennifer commented  · 

Your practice administrator can create chart note types with whatever title and reasons work for you. The sky is the limit on that already.

• Dr Data Longjohn commented  · 

I don't think an encounter should be generated, it's extra clicking that can be avoided.

• Mrs Jenifer Stedman commented  · 

When you mark a pt as a no show there shouldn't be an option to put in a reason. Also it should not create an encounter that then has to be deleted.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base