Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Change SOAP note type to "No Show" if patient cancels or no-shows

Currently, when a patient is a no show or has cancelled their appt, we can see this under the Appointment tab.
However, when the appt is generated, it creates an encounter. As the appt is no longer valid, the dr still has to go in and sign off on this to take it out of their task list.
Because we track these no-shows and cancellations, we do not delete them. I would like the option under the encounter to list the "Encounter Type" as a No-Show or Cancellation. (Currently I use "Letter" and put information on the no-show of cancellation in the complaint field. There is nothing else more appropriate to use) Also in the "Note Type" you have the option for Cancelled Appt. Can you also list No-show?

We are trying to keep this from going against the meaningful use numbers...
Thanks-

1,747 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ms Kathleen Mancini shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
Resolved  ·  Nina responded  · 

Hi everyone – As of 1/19/2017, we have introduced a new schedule setting to all practices that allows administrators to determine if encounters will be auto-generated for appointments marked as cancelled or no-show.

You can read more about schedule settings here: http://knowledgebase.practicefusion.com/knowledgebase/articles/482832

We have also introduced a new Appointment Report that allows practices to review and filter appointments by facility, status, provider, and date, making it easier to track cancellations, no shows, and other scheduling details.

You can read more about the new Appointment Report here:

http://knowledgebase.practicefusion.com/knowledgebase/articles/1124125

88 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  · 

It would be great if when we select "No Show" or "Cancelled" on the schedule, if the encounter would automatically be deleted since it is just an empty note that the doctor has to spend time signing and it says that they cancelled or no showed in the past appointments section on the summary.

• Dr Benjamin Schaffer commented  · 

I'm spending at least 10-15 minutes per day deleting or signing encounters that are actually no-shows, cancellations, or for some reason are appointments scheduled in the future.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Change SOAP note type to "No Show" if patient cancels or no-shows

Currently, when a patient is a no show or has cancelled their appt, we can see this under the Appointment tab.
    However, when the appt is generated, it creates an encounter. As the appt is no longer valid, the dr still has to go in and sign off on this to take it out of their task list.
    Because we track these no-shows and cancellations, we do not delete them. I would like the option under the encounter to list the "Encounter Type" as a No-Show or Cancellation. (Currently I use "Letter" and put information on the no-show of cancellation in the complaint field. There is nothing else more appropriate to use) Also in the "Note Type" you have the option for Cancelled Appt. Can you also list No-show?

We are trying to keep this from going against the meaningful use numbers...
    Thanks-

• Andrea commented  · 

In addition to the normal note types, I have a "note type" labeled lab draw, one labeled injection, one labeled no show and one labeled cancellation. All of these are extras that has nothing to do with the doctor's visit. What I need is to be able to edit the "ENCOUNTER TYPE" on the note. When my doc is going thru his tasks all lab draws, phone msgs (I know how to change this one), cancellations and no shows are showing up as "office visit"s. Is there a way to add different encounter types? It would be easier for my doctor to see who did what when he is signing off on his tasks.

• Angel Diaz commented  · 

Adding to my previous commnet, the tracking issue may be resolved by providing a date range when printing the Appointments list or creating a report to list the appointments by provider and by status with a selection of date range.

• Angel Diaz commented  · 

No Shows and cancellations can be tracked in the schedule appointment list. If at the end we have to change or delete the note, it would be better that the system never create them. That way, we don't have to spent time in dealing with them. Those that want to have a note may create one for the events they need to record.

• Lidiya commented  · 

yes, i agree 100%! no need for SOAP for cxl and no shows/LL

• Doctor B commented  · 

Don't sign -- with the Encounter open, click "Actions" tab to the right of the screen for a drop-down menu. There is a "Delete encounter" item, click on it and the unsigned note will disappear from the Encounters list. The NO SHOW or CANCELLED appointment will remain on the schedule. I've given Appointment Type colors to each of these so a glance at the schedule shows me how many of these appointments there were during the week, always way too many, despite all the email reminders. My online appointments are over half NO SHOWS.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It makes it difficult for the doctor he has to sign off on all these and keeps asking the staff did the patient show or cancel the appointment even when the staff puts it in on the schedule.

• Candace commented  · 

Agree! Also, when you mark someone as no show or cancelled it creates a task but does not copy the reason into the encounter anywhere! We have to manually type the reason once again in the encounter. Why go through making you type it in the reason box if it doesn't carry over to the encounter? PF told me it appears under the Subject line in the SOAP note..but it does not. This makes extra steps for the staff which wastes more time. In a fast paced office every min counts! Thanks!

• Glaucoma Doc commented  · 

I actually like how it generates an encounter (it allows me to document a patient no show in the chart, possibly charge the patient for the no-show, and trigger me to send a no-show letter advising follow up or dismissal).

What I've done is create a note type called "no-show" (which I use along with encounter type "office visit"). That way, it should NOT count against Meaningless Use (from what I've read, a note needs to be a SOAP note to count).

• Kelly commented  · 

ABSOLUTELY! WE do not need an entire SOAP note for no show/cancelled appts.

• Angus Matheson MD commented  · 

We change the chart note type to "Letter" so the NS or CX or RS when signed doesn't become a problem for our meaningful use numbers. I chose letter because we often send NS letters to patients. Now that we have timeline, appointments in New EMR the signed NS, CX, RS could be less critical. However, I think they are still needed because it is the only way to see them in the appointment timeline. If we had a unified timeline off all activity, we could stop having signed notes if the NS, CX, RS appts were in that unified timeline (with labs, imaging, documents, messages, reminder tasks, refills erx)

• Jeff commented  · 

Rather than creating an encounter that requires signing it would be wonderful if the cancellation was submitted on that patients timeline stating that they had an appointment that day, and the brief note that you write when the cancellation is processed. The purpose of having an entire SOAP note dedicated to an appointment that did not occur is not clear to me. Blank SOAP notes slow down the billing department as well as everyone else at my practice.

• Hi Tracy--many of our practices actually use this feature to document the missed appointment and later bill patients for those missed appointments. But there is a product idea that we are considering implementing, to allow practices to have a customized ability to generate or not generate chart notes in certain appointment situations. Please add your voice to the conversation there: http://knowledgebase.practicefusion.com/forums/276361-product-ideas/suggestions/7211720-customize-auto-generation-of-soap-notes

• Tracy commented  · 

Would it not be better if the system did not generate an encounter for no show or canceled appointments?

• Bonnee Shafner commented  · 

Yes, this is important. I agree with the above request 100%. It would help enormously!

• Keely Godwin, MD commented  · 

We track these as well. If you look at the appointment list, as long as you list the reason (no-show/cancellation), then it shows up in the appt list, even if you delete the note.
    That's why the appointment list is handier than the "notes" or "events" timeline.
    I know that right now appointments are on that initial summary screen, but ideally no-show and cancelled appointments should be listed in the timeline.

Feedback and Knowledge Base