Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Backup option for retrieving login security codes

We would like to be able to retrieve our login security code from our email as well as from our cell phones. Our physician is the only administrator and we can't always reach her when she is away. If we forget our cell phone we can't retrieve the code. If we set our number to the office phone we can't retrieve the code when working from home. We have individual, secure email accounts and would like our back up option for retrieving a login security code to be our email.

34 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mrs Sherry Face shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
Acknowledged  ·  Matthew Douglass responded  · 

We will not be sending codes over email, but we have explored other options for a backup to using phone verification as a second factor. Our implementation for Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances gives us an option to use in the future.

We would like to hear from others if this functionality would be beneficial for their practices as well, so we know we’re building something that many of our customers will use.

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jan Bray commented  · 

Yes! If I change my number I have no idea why I'm locked out and there is no backup option! We need a second option for physicians who need to continue doing business.

• Dr Robert Reiss commented  · 

I think the email idea is great. Financial institutions and the US Government use this method so why not PF? If you remain against this idea why not used a 2 step authenticator? I use that for my gmail account and does not require cell service.

• Anonymous commented  · 

phone number instead of text message

• Dr manjushree dey commented  · 

It would help if there could be an alternate number used for when office closed. so have it set up so during the work week, the code can be called to the office, then you can add a second number for when office closed. As the doctor still works 24\7.

• Dr. Jacob B. Goldstein commented  · 

I agree with Terry Gore. If you enter 2 phone numbers for verification, you should not only be able to select "text" or "voice", but which phone number you want the code to go to.
    Good idea Sherry Face- this has also been a problem in our office.

I guess a work around is to set up 2 users, but that are really the same person (although a different e-mail would be needed) Nurse 1 using a cell phone for verification and Nurse 1a using a landline phone for verification.

• Terry Gore commented  · 

It would be nice to be able to have an option for multiple phone number options to receive verification codes for. That way if a doctor is at home trying to access EHR he can select his cell phone instead of his work number.

• Anonymous commented  · 

e-mail is helpful but Symantec hardware such as a keyfob is state of the art for secondary authentication.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please reconsider sending codes by email as I frequently spend time in an area with no cell/text access but can get emails. Thanks.

• Dr Barry Press commented  · 

Excellent idea. I periodically work in a hospital where I have no cell reception but excellent wifi connectivity. If I try to login to PF from this hospital, the only way to authenticate the browser is with a security code sent to my cell phone, which has no reception. A secure alternate method would be very helpful.

Feedback and Knowledge Base