Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Remove automatic periods from being added to template items

Can you remove the automatic periods that appear at the end of each template item? The concept of a template is to create a macro that can be customized to each user's preference. If you could make them user-customizable, that would be best.

53 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Barry Press shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James F. Carroll, DC commented  · 

This is wonderful! I just want to confirm: is this setting on a per-user basis or per-practice? The interface says, "Your settings." With multiple providers in our office, each wants to have his or her own punctuation preference. Is this supported? Thank you!

• Anonymous commented  · 

The period situation has really been detrimental and time consuming when trying to complete a note. I really hope this issue gets resolved soon.

• Dr Marc Tanenbaum commented  · 

I am tired of the period as well. I just have accepted a "three dot colon" :.

• Briana commented  · 

When creating templates it would be nice to turn of the automatic population for "." Sometimes I try inserting a "," after my template item, but when I go to chart my template looks very full of unnecessary periods because now it looks like ",." Taking away the automatic population of a period would help me great much more diverse charts.

• Mr Perry Cooper commented  · 

Please remove the period as it would allow for so much more functionality of the templates.

• Jose Torres commented  · 

Changing the items, adding items and modifying are important in the templates.

• Dr Mark Willenbring commented  · 

Another related problem are the wild cards (??). Currently, I have to click twice in the text that has been added to the note before I can successfully tab to the wild card. Then, a period is added after the wild card entry, so I have to move the cursor past the period to move on. At this point, I'm going to have to stop using the wild card feature. Unfortunately, if I just put a stem in the template (e.g., "Pt today reports that s/he is doing [blank]) there will then be a period at the end of the stem, not allowing me to enter what I want to put in that field without moving past the period, again. But at least I won't have to click twice in the text area of the stem in order to be able to use the wild card. This is a major downgrade in functionality from the old system, which worked well.

• Jen Rives, LMFT commented  · 

Mary, me too! We can easily put it an period if we need one when we make the template.

• Mary commented  · 

Agree. Due to my OCD I always back space to get rid of the periods.

Feedback and Knowledge Base