Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Customize Auto-Generation of SOAP Notes

I'd love if we could change our setting to turn on or off the auto-generation of soap notes for visits.

77 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rachel shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
Acknowledged  ·  Matthew Douglass responded  · 

Hi Rachel—thanks for this idea. We’ve heard from many of our practices that they would like this customization feature.

Currently, when a patient is marked as Arrived, a SOAP note is automatically created. We do this for a number of reasons, but it is clearly not a necessity for many practices. We are considering making this a practice-wide or provider-specific setting for Arriving new patients.

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ms Ankita T commented  · 

I agree with Dr. Benson. We would also like to have an option to customize which note is generated depending on the appointment type. Right now, even for follow up or injection appointments, SOAP notes are auto-generated.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Currently, when we check in a patient under the appointments tab, an encounter is automatically generated in the chart. While this can be convenient at times, it becomes a nuisance when either a patient is marked no show which still creates an unnecessary encounter, a patient is inadvertently checked in only after his appointment and a duplicate blank encounter is created, or when a patient is here for a test in which case we don't need an encounter. In all these cases someone must manually go into each individual chart and delete the unwanted encounter - a unnecessary annoyance on top of an already busy day.
    Can practice fusion create an update that gives offices the ability to choose between the two options of either automatically generating encounters through scheduler or turning off this feature (thus allowing individual facilities to choose what's better for them without hurting the needs of others')?

• Dr Daniel Benson commented  · 

Having the option to customize which notes will be generated depending on appointment type would be incredibly valuable.

• Angel Diaz commented  · 

The SOAP notes should be auto created. Sometimes we do procedures for which we use a simple note not a SOAP, but, because the SOAP is auto created when we change the status to rrived, we have to delete it. It is not necessary to create a SOAP for Cancelled or No show status. Auto SOAP is creating additional overhead to practices.

• Anonymous commented  · 

This piece is actually more critical than it appears. We have to be able to document a no show (as indicated in the appointment view of the scheduler) without generating an encounter. First, the provider can get multiple tasks that are not needed. And if unnoticed, the provider could accidentally document under the wrong date of service.

• Dr ELAINE Ballard commented  · 

ALSO NEED TO BE ABLE TO STOP AUTO GENERATION OF SOAP NOTE FOR CANCELLED APPOINTMENTS. THIS IS JUST AN ADDED BURDEN TO GO IN AND SIGN OFF OR DELETE THESE NOTES WITH NOTHING IN THEM - OTHERWISE MY TASK LIST JUST KEEPS GETTING LARGER!!!

• Anonymous commented  · 

yes, please correct this. We have patients on the schedule multiple times for different providers and can only check them in once so it messes our providers up if a note is already pending for them.

• Mrs Meghan Finley commented  · 

Please make it so that a soap note is not created when the appointment is cancelled so that we do not have to go back and delete all these empty notes, if not, the extra notes skew our number of visits.

• Anonymous commented  · 

We have some providers that like to pre-populate their encounters in advance to save time. So they'll start an encounter and then when the patient checks in, it creates a duplicate encounter. We should have the option to create a new encounter upon check in OR if the provider already created an encounter, it should be the one that's viewable on the schedule where it says "view encounter." Then if a patient misses the appointment and the encounter is already generated, the provider should have the option to change it from SOAP to "No Show" or something.

• Anonymous commented  · 

nursing visit scheduling and SOAP note

• Anonymous commented  · 

We have lots if no shows in our free clinic therefore we have encounters with nothing in them. Priority to fix.

• Kristen Sheeley commented  · 

This is a great solution. Please make the automatic SOAP note creation on the schedule optional!

• Rachel commented  · 

I would prefer to be able to turn off autogenerated notes especially when appointments are cancelled etc.

• Doctor B commented  · 

Also there is no way to generate a chart note that doesn't have Vitals fields. I wanted to have a "Return to Work" note in the chart note templates, but if I do one I get ding'ed for not recording weight or BP. So I still have to use my paper form and then upload it. Not efficient.

Feedback and Knowledge Base