Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Track In-Office-Administered Medications (like injectables)

the same way immunizations are entered, I would like to have a way to log injectible medications with lot number, expiration, type of vial, how many mg given, route given, site given, time given, that the patient waited 'X' number of minutes afterwards & the site was examined, no reaction noted, etc.
e.g. intially put into inventory Ceftriaxone 500mg vial LOT C300141 exp JUN2016 and how many of this vial are in our inventory. (exactly like our vaccine inventory) then when it's administered, be able to document everything necessary, also similar to vaccine inventory:
- mg given or dose given
- site given
- route given
- how many vials were withdrawn from inventory
- post-injection monitoring done: e.g. pt waited 15 min after injection, no local reaction, no systemic reaction, d/c home in stable condition. or as with zofran, po challenge given 15min post injection, tolerated well without emesis, d/c home in stable condition.

181 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dr MRANALI SAWARDEKAR shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mrs Jessica Whelan commented  · 

It should also be logged under the procedures space so it is easier for billing purposes.

• Dr Elishia Featherston commented  · 

I would like this and to be able to add any administered medication given in office like albuterol. Route, expiration date, lot number etc.

• Ms Dorlah Lawrence commented  · 

Great idea! Why not for ALL inventory. Think of the time saved. Also, you will never accidentally run out of any supply!

Dorlah Lawrence, MSN, RN

• Anonymous commented  · 

I would be very interested to know if this was to come about. I'm not even sure how we are supposed to keep these adequately logged when everything falls on the providers shoulders. I would love to be able to log these for the providers so that they can focus more on patients.

• Dr Kamal Tadros commented  · 

A good way to structure it is to have the ability of adding CPT to choose the injection and also have to ability to add the CPT to the superbill automatically.
    Of course there should be the ability to document lot #, dosage, expiration and a field for free notes.
    If added to the vaccination module, then the name should be modified.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Looking for something very similar or an actual POS software to integrate with Practice Fusion to monitor inventory and sales transactions for a small family practice.

• Dr Karl Hanson commented  · 

Need a medication inventory just like vaccines. I order medications wholesale and dispense from my office.

• Mrs Amanda Fisher commented  · 

I would like to see this also. We need a running log on the patient's profile of the injections given. Some patients only come in for MIC injections or testosterone injections. We want to see a running list of their history for each visit.

• Ms Denise Hemphill commented  · 

I just added an idea similar to this under the immunizations. It would be wonderful to be able to track inventory, lot #'s, expiration dates, etc in this way.

• Anonymous commented  · 

If you implement this, would it be possible to add a section for the cost of the injection and the medication that can be populated on the bill which can be entered or adjusted by the provider? I have a large number of self-pay patients and would like to be able to itemize what was given/done when I hand them the bill.

For example, I just injected a patient with 1 gm of Rocephine. It would be great if I could click on a button which will open a window showing all the medicines I can give or all the procedures I can perform. Click on the appropriate medicine or procedure and have it automatically show up on the bill.

It would also be great if we had the ability to manually add the cost of medications given, or things like ECG, Nebulizer treatments, splinting, etc.

• Mrs SARA YACKEY commented  · 

We so need this. as well as the ability to include the order, ie: Vit B 12 to be administered every week for 4 weeks then one a month there after with documentation of how often the provider wants labs done.

• J Steve Mayo commented  · 

Yes! Our office needs to record in-office administration of medicine, like ceftriaxone, testosterone, and penicillin. This functionality would greatly improve record keeping, as we could review medicines prescribed and administered in one section/view.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It would assist with accurate documentation of service provided for patient and injectable medications on hand!

• stacy commented  · 

I too would love to know when this happens! It would be great!! Thanks in advance : )

• Rita Wermers commented  · 

This would be a great addition - please let me know when this is added to the EHR.

• Ms Leian Licot commented  · 

This would be a great add to practice fusion. I have used this type of process in other EHRs and it is very nice. And it makes administration a lot easier.

• Christy Dulude commented  · 

This would be a nice feature that would be greatly utilized in our office. It is very important feature.

• donna commented  · 

This WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED in our practice. Presently, we have to write each injection, amount, lot, mfg, expiration, etc.....into an injection log. We also have to note the exact same info in the patient chart. Presently, our work around with B12, Lipo B injections is to put them in our inventory under vaccinations. This is fine when all injection amounts are the same, i.e., 1 cc. But for other things, like testosterone cypionate, we would like to track the same info. Helps for recalls AND for knowing when to re-order inventory. Thanks for considering!

• Mrs Annette Leno commented  · 

The ability to log injections would be greatly utilized if made available. It is a very important feature.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base