Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Chart Note Macros

We would like to be able to define a short abbreviation (usually with a special character so it cannot be accidentally typed) that expands to whatever text you want. It is found in some EHRs, a stand-alone program called AsUType, and WordPerfect.

For instance: type a '.' (period), followed by "otc" and a space, and it automatically becomes "over the counter"

12 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dr JD LABASH shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
Resolved  ·  Matthew Douglass responded  · 

Hi everyone—I am pleased to announce that we have released this time-saving feature to all Practice Fusion customers as of 8/4/2015.

You can read more about how Template Settings for creating macros works here: http://knowledgebase.practicefusion.com/knowledgebase/articles/484527-how-do-i-create-new-templates-and-edit-existing-te

And information on using macros in a chart note here: http://knowledgebase.practicefusion.com/knowledgebase/articles/483339-charting-with-templates

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  · 

It would save significant amount of time and typos if each provider could customize a list of auto-text abbreviations for the things that each one uses frequently.
    For example if I could type "tahbso" and have "total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy" appear in the chart. Or type "rbad" and have "risks, benefits and alternatives discussed". Or type "f/u" and have "follow up" appear. Etc, etc, etc.
    This way we could avoid initials or abbreviations appearing permanently in the chart while being able to do it while we work on it.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree with the August 04, 2015 07:07 comment by Anonymous

• Anonymous commented  · 

I think this would be a great idea as well because there are many times when I have a phrase or several diagnoses used often and I'd rather use a macro instead of having to scroll up and down through the template I'm in, or navigate between templates when I could just use a macro.

I'd also like to see a way to use an autocorrect spelling feature. Instead of just having the word underlined, have an option for the underlined word to be corrected automatically. For example, if you I "hte" often instead of "the" I'd like to be able to set it to fix that automatically.

• Osama Nahas M.D. commented  · 

Like in MS Word, make shortcuts to enter long words, sentences and paragraphs

• Dr Jonathan Robertson commented  · 

I like the idea of recording macros so I can fill in prescriptions with "tablet," "30" day Rx, and todays date for earliest fill day

Feedback and Knowledge Base