Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Allow special characters and numbers in patient name fields

Parentheses and asterisks are used to flag duplicate patients and nicknames patients prefer.

46 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
Acknowledged  ·  Matthew Douglass responded  · 

Thanks for helping make the Practice Fusion EHR better for everyone. If you are passionate about this idea, remember you can let your colleagues know you support it by clicking the ‘Vote’ button.

The ideas with the most supporters are constantly being considered for addition to our roadmap in the future.

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  · 

Honestly, there should be a way to put a sticker on the charts. We all need to be able to indicate different things on the charts. We have a lot of patients on Hopsice. It would be nice to be able to put an H sticker on their charts (putting in as a nickname or middle initial, or a symbol after their name, just makes the name wrong. There should be a way to put a "sticker" on a chart, as if it were a paper chart. I am sure tons of practices that had paper charts had some sort of sticker system. We would also like to be able to denote the people with high deductible,

• KAREN H. commented  · 

WE HAVE PATIENTS WITH "1/2 IN THEIR ADDRESS AND ITS NOT ACCEPTED IN THE GAURANTOR

• J'lene commented  · 

I agree with the other comments. We REALLY need the symbols put back! That is how I can keep track of certain patients that need to be tagged for various reasons that I cant possibly remember with out some help. On some pts I have had to resort to "NO" beside their name...kinda not cool if I forget to temporarily remove that before I refer them to another doctor...

• Dr. Adler commented  · 

The ¶ and ® apparently prevent Eprescribing from working!

• Dr Julie Konowitz-Sirkin commented  · 

This feature is very important, as we have several patients who go by a nickname, rather than their legal name. In our pediatric office, parents get very upset and offended when their child is called by the incorrect name. This is easily remedied by having their nickname in parentheses when their chart appears. With the preferred name under "profile" this nickname is never seen. Also, the ability to put a name in parentheses allows us to apply a name alert for patients that have the same or similar names.

• Erica commented  · 

I agree with the request above & would also like to add that we should be able to have punctuation in the name fields. Our practice only recently updated to the new EHR & now we cannot exit out of a patient's summary page until we remove any punctuation from their names (Jr. , Sr. , etc.) It would be nice to be able to leave it in there.

I would also like to request that under the Emergency Contact section that it not be required to enter the Emergency Contact's City & Zip code. I'm finding that in the previous EHR it did not require those things & in the new EHR it will not let me exit out of the summary section until we enter something in the City & Zip code field. We have been entering "n/a" for the city and "00000" for the zip just to get out of the chart. It would be nice not to have to spend time doing this. Thanks!

• Doctor B commented  · 

I had a system of putting " - " after the last names of HMO patients, " * " for PPO and Medicare patients, " = " for ACA Exchange patients with high deductibles, and " + " for hospice patients. Scheduling, prescribing, and referring are very different for each. It's time consuming and embarrassing when we suggest something and then have to change when we check insurance. Bring the symbols back, please.

Feedback and Knowledge Base