Submit your Product Ideas to the Practice Fusion team for consideration. Your ideas make a better EHR for everyone. If you have a technical or workflow related question, please visit our Help Center.

Eliminate Duplicate Patient Encounter Notes

On a daily basis my task list has 2 or 3 notes for the same patient started, but only one is used. One of my staff members may have mistakenly created an encounter. It would be helpful if users were informed by a popup when an encounter is created so these mistakes aren't made.

I also get encounters created often when appointments are scheduled or when they are cancelled, even if it is far in the future. The popup would help relieve this problem.

123 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dr Benjamin Schaffer shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
Acknowledged  ·  Matthew Douglass responded  · 

Thanks for helping make the Practice Fusion EHR better for everyone. If you are passionate about this idea, remember you can let your colleagues know you support it by clicking the ‘Vote’ button.

The ideas with the most supporters are constantly being considered for addition to our roadmap in the future.

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Practice Fusion
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mrs Esmeralda Montez commented  · 

Sometimes the clinician likes to start charting patient notes before they arrive so that he is prepared for their visit. It would be very helpful to not have to double check for duplicate encounters. We like that encounters are created when patients are checked in but we want to make sure we are all charting on the same note

• Anonymous commented  · 

This is also a problem for our practice. Duplicate encounters are created regularly for various reasons. It seems like if vitals are added from the Summary tab it will create a duplicate encounter. There should be only ONE way an encounter is created.

• Dr SONIA CANAVES-NUNEZ commented  · 

Frequently a note for the visit date is prepared in advance of the visit. When the patient is checked in by the receptionist, a visit is automatically created. Need to option of NOT creating a duplicate visit from the check in. Otherwise, have to waste time in deleting the extra blank visit. Which, by the way, when I delete it, it deletes the Vital Signs from the chosen visit whether it has been signed or not. And when I add the VS again, it does not say SAVE, it says CREATE AN ENCOUNTER. So I wind up with 2 notes again.

• Dr Theresa Willett commented  · 

also having same issue- I tried to make sure to open my encounter on the existing appointment, but still another one was created somewhere else. Very confusing!drtwill

• Ms Priscilla Rodriguez commented  · 

This is a problem in our office as well. Please updated this asap.

Thank you

• Mrs Tami Wilkes commented  · 

It would be helpful for our clinic not to have auto generated encounters. We have multiple providers in the clinic seeing each patient each visit and the duplicate encounters are a large problem.

• Anonymous commented  · 

This is an issue in our practice as well

• Ms jayne kalenits commented  · 

yes we also are experiencing this duplicate encounter

• Stephanie commented  · 

The ability to delete a duplicate encounter would be very helpful, right now ever appointment each doctor has is creating two separate notes in each patient's chart but is only on the schedule one time.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I encounter the same problem - it adds an extra step
    at the close of the day

Feedback and Knowledge Base