What is the Advancing Care Information (ACI) Performance Category?
Under the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) pathway of the MACRA Quality Payment Program, ACI has replaced the Medicare EHR Incentive Program (Meaningful Use). In 2017, ACI is also one of the three performance categories that will be considered and weighted for scoring a clinician’s overall performance under MIPS. Starting in 2018, four performance categories will be considered and weighted for scoring a clinician’s overall performance under MIPS.
Under MIPS, ACI scoring will be determined based on a clinician’s satisfaction of the four required base score measures as well as their performance on additional ACI performance score and ACI bonus score measures.
ACI Measure Sets
In the 2017 performance year, there are two ACI measure set options that eligible clinicians may choose from for reporting. The option a MIPS eligible clinician uses to report their data is based on their electronic health record edition.
- Option 1: Advancing Care Information Objectives and Measures
- Option 2: 2017 Advancing Care Information Transition Objectives and Measures
Eligible clinicians can report on the Advancing Care Information Objectives and Measure set (Option 1) if they have either of the following:
- 2015 Edition Certified EHR Technology (CEHRT).
- A combination of technologies certified to the 2014 Edition and 2015 Edition requirements that can support the ACI measures.
Eligible clinicians can report on the 2017 Advancing Care Information Transition Objectives and Measure set (Option 2) if they have one of the following:
- 2014 Edition CEHRT.
- 2015 Edition CEHRT.
- A combination of technologies from the 2014 Edition and 2015 Edition.
Practice Fusion is currently a 2014 Edition Certified EHR technology. MIPS eligible clinicians using Practice Fusion to report on the ACI performance category for MIPS in the 2017 performance year will need to meet the measure requirements for the 2017 ACI Transition Objectives and Measures.
2017 ACI Transition Measure Set
- Security Risk Analysis
- Electronic Prescribing (eRx)
- Provide Patient Access
- Health Information Exchange
- View, Download, or Transmit (VDT)
- Secure Messaging
- Medication Reconciliation
- Patient-Specific Education
- Immunization Registry Reporting
- Syndromic Surveillance Reporting (Bonus Score Only)
- Specialized Registry Reporting (Bonus Score Only)
For more information about individual ACI measure details and scoring methodology, please click here.
- For details on Practice Fusion’s 2014 Edition certification, please click here.
- Further details regarding the MIPS program requirements can be found here.
- Visit Practice Fusion’s Quality Payment Program resource center here.
- CMS provides further resources about the Advancing Care Information measure sets here.