Note: Access to the EHR features described in this article may differ for practices who have already purchased a Practice Fusion EHR subscription plan. Please contact Practice Fusion Customer Service for additional information.
Practice Fusion includes a number of basic encounter types in the EHR that can be changed using the drop-down menu in the encounter note. However, your practice may want to label encounters with different encounter types than those available by default. Additional encounter type preferences can be added to the encounter type drop-down menu through the EHR Settings, allowing you to customize your chart notes with the encounter types used most often by your practice.
Encounter type settings are designated at the EHR user level, which means any added encounter types will be visible in your own EHR account only. This setting is available to all users, regardless of Access (edit) level.
Steps for adding new Encounter Types
1. Click on Settings in the top right corner of your Practice Fusion EHR, then select Encounter Types from the Charting section.
2. Use the orange Add encounter type button or the +Add encounter type link to search for a new encounter type. Practice Fusion has added hundreds of encounter types to this search field, including all of the encounter types supported by the eCQMs in Practice Fusion (associated with code type SNOMED or HCPCS).
3. In the search field, enter your search term to narrow down available results. You may search by keyword, SNOMED code, or HCPCS code.
4. Once selected, the encounter type will be saved to your Encounter types list and will be available in the “Encounter type” drop-down menu in each chart note.
5. You may reorder your list by using the 4 horizontal lines to the left of each line item to drag and drop the item to the preferred location. Line items can be deleted by clicking the X button on the far right. Because Office Visit is the default encounter type, it cannot be reordered or deleted.
6. Once your Encounter types list has been updated, your changes will appear in the dropdown menu within your encounter notes. You may also click Manage encounter types within the dropdown to update or edit your Encounter types settings at any time.