The Pinned notes feature helps to save your practice time by making it easier to add, edit and view important non-clinical details about individual patients when scheduling appointments, checking in for a visit or viewing the patient chart. Like a sticky note for your EHR, a Pinned Note is the ideal place to record non-clinical information specific to an individual patient, where you can provide the information in narrative form and make it viewable to all members of your practice staff. Some examples of information that may be useful to record in a Pinned note include:
- Patient prefers for appointments in the afternoon
- Patient has two previous no-shows
- Patient has a past due balance of $34.00
Follow the instructions below for step-by-step details on how to create, where to view, and how to edit or delete a Pinned note for a patient in the Practice Fusion EHR.
Creating a Pinned note
1. Click the pushpin icon from either the schedule, patient chart, or patient profile to add a note (see Graphic 1 below).
Graphic 1: Pin Icon in Patient Summary
2. Click Pin note to add a memo for this patient (see Graphic 2 below).
Graphic 2: No Pinned Note
3. Type your note in the text field (see Graphic 3 below). There is a 500 character limit within the field. If you have exceeded the limit, a red box will appear around the field indicating you have passed the limit and you will not be able to save your note (see Graphic 4 below). Delete characters to return within the limit. When finished with your note, click Save.
Graphic 3: Pinned Note Text Field
Graphic 4: Error - Exceeded Character Limit
4. Notice the pushpin icon after saving your note (see Graphic 5 below). The orange dot indicates there is a note to view. Click on the pushpin icon with an orange dot to view the note.
Graphic 5: Pushpin with Note
Reviewing a Pinned note
Information on the Pinned note is viewable and editable to all staff. By clicking on the pushpin icon with an orange dot, you can see the note, which Practice Fusion user made the last edit, and the date and time it was updated. To review the most up to date note, refresh your page as someone may have recently made an edit. For ease of use, the pushpin icon can be found in the:
- Practice Schedule Appointments tab (see Graphic 6 below)
- Practice Schedule when booking an appointment (see Graphic 7 below)
- Patient’s Chart (see Graphic 8 below)
- Patient’s Profile (see Graphic 9 below)
Graphic 6: Pinned Note in Appointments Tab of Schedule
Graphic 7: Pinned Note When Booking Appointment in Schedule
Graphic 8: Pinned Note in Patient Chart
Graphic 9: Pinned Note in Patient’s Profile
Editing or Deleting Pinned note
There can only be one Pinned note per patient. All staff members can add and edit the same note if they are within the character limit.
- Click the pushpin icon, then click Edit to re-open the note (see Graphic 10 below). Revise the text. Click Save when finished making changes.
- Click the pushpin icon, then click Delete to delete the note. You will receive a second notification to ensure you want to delete the note (see Graphic 11 below). Once deleted, the note cannot be recovered. Click Delete note to finalize.
Graphic 10: Edit Pinned Note
Graphic 11: Delete Notification