With Practice Fusion, you can easily submit superbills to an integrated billing partner or create bills without an integration to print or export.
Creating a superbill
Any user may create a superbill for a patient that has a patient record number entered in their chart by following the steps listed below:
Within a patient encounter, click the Actions menu in the top right corner.
Select Add superbill.
The superbill will open in a new tab.
Once you have opened the superbill, you will have the ability to add CPT codes, diagnosis codes, and modifiers. For each procedure added, a corresponding diagnosis code must also be selected. You can also add additional notes and edit provider/facility details.
Adding a procedure
1. To add a CPT code to the superbill, click Add procedure. Search for a procedure or select one from your list of frequently used and custom CPT codes. You may search by code or procedure description.
2. If you are unable to locate a particular code, you can create a custom code by clicking the blue Add custom code link at the end of the list of search results. Input the custom code and description, then click Save.
To add an existing custom CPT code to your superbill, click into the Procedure field and begin typing the procedure code. All custom codes will also be listed under the Custom codes sub-list.
3. You can add multiple CPT codes to a superbill simultaneously by continuing to search for and select additional codes. Once you have selected the procedures, click Add. Alternatively, you can add each procedure separately using the Add procedure link each time.
Adding a diagnosis
You may associate up to 4 diagnoses per CPT code in the Practice Fusion superbill. While the official CMS 1500 claim form that your biller creates allows for 12 diagnoses to be documented per claim, only 4 diagnosis pointers can be associated per CPT code. To simplify and standardize the superbill process in Practice Fusion, we are limiting each CPT line to 4 diagnosis codes. Please note that the Practice Fusion superbill is not used as an electronic claim and can be adjusted to include diagnosis pointers and additional diagnoses after it has been submitted to your billing system for review.
1. To select a diagnosis, click Add a diagnosis below the selected procedure.
2. You can quickly select diagnoses from the patient’s encounter and diagnosis history by utilizing the Chart tab in the flyout pane on the left. In order for a diagnosis to display under the Encounter section, you must either add the diagnosis via the Assessment section of the encounter or add the diagnosis via the Diagnoses section of the encounter and check the Associate diagnosis with encounter box.
From within the flyout pane, you can also select a diagnosis from your customized My Dx list. Using our diagnosis search, you may also search for new diagnoses by:
- Diagnosis description
3. Click into the Add new diagnosis search field to select a new diagnosis. As you begin typing, Practice Fusion will offer a list of potential diagnoses. Select the appropriate diagnosis from the dropdown menu.
If searching by ICD-9 code or description, selecting a diagnosis that maps to only one ICD-10 code will automatically add the diagnosis to the superbill. In some instances, an ICD-9 code may correspond to multiple ICD-10 codes and you will be prompted to select the specific ICD-10 code. Any diagnosis that maps to multiple ICD-10 codes and requires further refinement will display an orange alert. Use the Filter to narrow down the list of potential ICD-10 codes.
4. You can add multiple diagnoses to the procedure by continuing to search for and select additional codes. After adding all relevant diagnoses for the procedure (you can add up to four per CPT code), click Save. Once you’ve saved your diagnoses, you can reorder them within your superbill by clicking the 4 horizontal lines to the left of the diagnosis and dragging up or down. Diagnoses can also be deleted.
Editing patient, provider, and facility details and entering additional notes
The patient’s demographic information will auto-populate in the superbill. If you have edited any patient demographic information after creating your superbill, click the Refresh button to pull in the updated information.
Within the Other details portion of the superbill, you may review provider/facility information and enter any additional notes. Click Edit to update any fields.
For Kareo users integrated before November 2, 2014:
Please be sure that you’re selecting the provider’s name from under the “Billing System Providers” section within the “Rendering Provider” dropdown menu. Likewise, please also be sure to select from the “Billing System Facilities” menu from within the “Seen at Facility” dropdown menu. Both the “Billing System Provider and Facilities” list is directly imported from your Kareo account. If you do need to add a provider or facility to appear on those lists, please do so within your Kareo account. For more information, please see: How do I create a superbill when I am bound with Kareo?
Completing your superbill
Once you have completed your superbill, you can save it by selecting a status from the dropdown menu in the top-right corner. When ready, you can print or download the superbill. Alternatively, if you are connected with one of our integrated billing partners, selecting Ready for biller will electronically submit the superbill to your billing software.
You can view all your superbills in the Reports section using the Billing Report. Use the dropdown at the top to filter results by Draft, Ready for biller, Archive, or Error. To make it easy to find a superbill, you can search for a specific superbill, or sort by any of the columns by clicking the header once to sort ascending and again for descending order.