To upload a document, you will first need to scan and save the document to your computer. You may then upload your document to your Practice Fusion account and assign it to a patient's chart. Documents can also be uploaded directly to the patient’s chart and attached to a specific encounter. Multiple documents may be uploaded simultaneously in the Documents section of the EHR.
1. Select Tasks from the left navigation bar and click the Documents tab. Click Upload in the top right-hand corner.
2. Select files to upload from your computer or external drive. To select multiple documents to upload, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard. Once you’ve selected your files, click Open.
3. After documents have been successfully uploaded, document names will display above the Pending documents list. Click “____ more...” to view all uploaded documents.
4. Click the document title to add details to each document. To add the document to a patient’s chart, begin typing patient search criteria in the Patient field.
5. You may then enter the Document Name, select the Document Type from the drop-down menu. Quick tip: Type the first few letters of the document type to quickly search for and select the appropriate type.
For more information on creating custom document types, see How do I create custom document types?
Adjust the date, select a Provider from the drop-down menu and click Save.
Note: You may open multiple documents within the Documents section. Each opened document will be accessible in a new tab
For more information on how to attach and upload documents to a specific encounter, please see: How do I attach documents to an encounter?
Creating message, tasks and adding patients
After selecting your doctor from the Pending or Signed tab, click Print document to print your document.
Note: If you are printing a document that has been uploaded in PDF formatting, hover your mouse over the document viewer (image) and click the print icon in the top right corner to print the document.
Updox integrated fax solution
Practice Fusion's integrated fax solution with Updox helps you manage practice communications, including inbound and outbound faxes, in a single unified inbox to help the front office save time. With your Updox account, you'll be able to receive electronic faxes and easily organize documents. You'll then be able to send faxes and documents directly into your Practice Fusion account.
For more information about how to get started, see: How can I use Updox inbound faxing in Practice Fusion?
- Documents may only be signed by users with an NP/PA or Phys/MD/DO edit level. Once signed, the document cannot be edited.
- Audio files can be uploaded as a document from your computer. Depending on your browser, the audio file may be able to play in Practice Fusion. If you cannot play the audio file in the EHR, you can download it to your computer.
- The maximum upload size for each document is 25MB
- Only the first 10 pages of any document will be viewable directly in Practice Fusion. To view a document that contains more than 10 pages, click the Download link to view the entire file on your computer's native viewing program.
- Only documents that are uploaded in JPEG or PDF formats will be available to view within Practice Fusion. Documents that are uploaded in formats other than JPEG and PDF will have to be downloaded to your desktop to view.
- Regarding the quality of documents that are viewed directly in Practice Fusion, if the original file is a high quality image, you may notice a reduction in detail or image quality. The quickest remedy for this is to download the file and view it directly. There aren't minimum pixel requirements which will not affect the viewing of documents. At this time, we don't recommend reducing the quality of the image, or grey-scaling; downloading the file will be the best way to view the image.
- Please ensure all information is correct, including the assigned patient, before signing a document.
For additional information, please see: