To enter family history:
1. Select the Summary tab at the top of the chart.
2. Click on the Go to.. drop-down menu and select Family History. (Note: You may also access Family History when editing the Past medical history by clicking the 'Use structured family history' link.)
3. Select either Record new relative or Unknown Family Health History. (Note: Unknown Family Health History will count towards Stage 2 Meaningful Use.)
4. If you’ve selected Record new relative, select relationship from the drop-down menu.
5. Enter the optional relative details and click Save. (Note: There are no required fields when adding a relative)
6. Click Add Dx to record any applicable diagnoses. Begin typing 3 or more characters to search the Dx list.
7. To print, click the Actions drop-down menu and select Print Family Health History.
Am I required to complete this Family History section for Meaningful Use Stage 2?
This Family History section was previously required for Meaningful Use. CMS released important changes to the Meaningful Use program that take effect for reporting in 2015 and beyond. As part of these changes, the Family Health History measure was removed and family history entry is no longer required for the Meaningful Use program. However, we still advise you to utilize this structured section to document your patient's' family history.
Why is there still a free text field for family health history in PMH?
The free text field was implemented prior to the structured Family History section, which was added for Stage 2 of Meaningful Use. You can navigate from the free text field to the structured family health history entry from the PMH section.