With Practice Fusion’s secure messaging feature, you can easily communicate with your patients as soon as they have enrolled in a patient portal account (Patient Fusion).
How do I turn patient messaging on?
The default setting for patient messaging is off. Any account administrator can enable this feature for the entire practice.
1. Click Settings and select Patient Communications under Patient Engagement.
2. To opt in to patient messaging, turn on the "Enable secure messaging" toggle button. Enabling or disabling patient messaging will update this setting for the entire practice.
How do I send a message to a patient?
1. Within the Messages section of your EHR, click “New Message.” You may also send a message from within the patient’s chart by clicking “Send message” from the Actions menu or by clicking the (+) symbol next to Messages on the Summary page. Sending a message from a patient’s chart will default to create a new in-practice message associated with that patient. For more information on in-practice messaging, see How do I use In Practice messaging?
2. Select “Patient” from the dropdown To field and begin typing your patient’s name. Any patient that has registered their patient portal account will be available for selection in the contact list.
3. If you want this message to display in the patient’s chart, choose the applicable patient in the “Regarding Patient” section of the message and ensure that the “Add to Chart” box is checked.
To change the default setting for adding messages to patients’ charts, please see this article.
4. After typing your message, simply click Send.
How can I retrieve a message from a patient?
1. Open your Messages section and click on a message in the left pane to see the contents of the message in the right pane. A bolded message in the left pane indicates that the message is unread.
2. You may archive messages, view sent messages, and view the history of a message thread if needed.
How do I process patient message attachments?
Patients can send messages directly to your Practice Fusion EHR and have the option to include a document attachment and/or hyperlink.
1. Hover your mouse over the document link to see the option to “Add to documents” and click to add.
2. In the confirmation notification, click View in documents to be taken to your Documents section. The document will appear in your Pending documents list.
3. The document details will auto-populate with the patient’s name, the document name (i.e. attachment name), the date the document was added, and the provider to whom the message was sent. The Document Type will default to “Patient Generated” but can be manually changed in the document details window.
Only patients that have registered their patient portal account will have the ability to send or receive messages. After clicking Send or Reply (if responding to a message the patient sent), your message will appear in the Messages section of the patient’s Patient Fusion account.
How can I view messages associated with a specific patient?
Within the patient chart, you have the option to view messages associated with that specific patient from the Summary tab.
How can a patient send a message?
After patient messaging has been enabled by your practice administrator in the EHR Settings, the patient will need to complete steps to register for their patient portal account if they have not already done so. Any patient who has registered for their Patient Fusion account will have access to secure messaging from within their account.
Based on provider feedback, we’ve included a disclaimer informing patients that messages are for non-urgent issues only. The full disclaimer states:
- Messages are only for non-urgent issues. Call your doctor's office if you need an immediate response. Dial 911 for life-threatening situations.