Throughout the eRx verification process, Practice Fusion utilizes ID.me, a credential service provider, to meet requirements for identity verification and e-prescribing enablement. Your personal information will only be used to verify your identity. After verification and e-prescribing is enabled, you can:
- Reduce phone calls to the pharmacy.
- Fulfill refill requests in two clicks.
- Submit prior authorizations electronically.
To Sign-up for eRx
1. Open your Dashboard and select the e-Prescribing tile
Open your Practice Dashboard and select Set up e-Prescribing in the e-Prescribing tile as shown in Graphic 1 below. Note: Reference the status (ie: Incomplete, Pending) and details listed on the tile throughout this process for more information about the current state of your request. For more detailed information on status, click here.
Graphic 1: E-Prescribing Tile
2. Prepare for e-Prescribing verification
The following items contain information needed to verify personal identity and medical credentials. It is crucial that the information you enter matches the information on these documents. Confirm that you have access to all the following resources prior to beginning the eRx sign-up process:
- Medical credentials for verification
- A valid government issued photo ID
- Access to a smartphone
Graphic 2: Materials Necessary for E-Prescribing Verification
3. Confirm your legal name
Enter your legal name exactly as it is listed in your credit report and click Continue as shown Graphic 3 below. The name entered must match the name on your credit report or you will not pass this verification step.
Graphic 3: Enter Legal Name
4. Add your specialty
Enter your specialty and then click Continue as shown in Graphic 4 below.
Graphic 4: Enter specialty
5. Submit your medical credentials for verification
Enter your medical credentials and the relevant information in the required fields. Review and check the box to agree to the e-Prescribing terms and conditions. Click Verify medical credentials as shown in Graphic 5 below.
Graphic 5: Verify Medical Credentials
5. Set up authentication and verify your identity with ID.me
After verifying your medical credentials, click Launch ID.me as shown in Graphic 6 below, then click Log out (see Graphic 7 below) to be directed into ID.me to verify your identity. The ID.me verification process includes four steps:
- Step A: Link your Practice fusion account to ID.me and confirm your Practice Fusion login email address.
- Step B: Set up the ID.me Authenticator app on your phone as required for multi-factor authentication
- Step C: Verify your personal details
- Step D: Verify your identity
Graphic 6: Verify Identity with ID.me
Graphic 7: Log out of Practice Fusion to connect your account to ID.me
5A. Link your Practice Fusion account to ID.me and confirm your Practice Fusion login email address
Graphic 8: Link Practice Fusion login account to ID.me
Graphic 9: Confirmation email sent
Graphic 10: Open new tab and confirm email address
After your email has been confirmed (see Graphic 11 below), close this tab and click back to the previous ID.me tab to continue to the next step.
Graphic 11: Close tab after email is confirmed
5B. Set up the ID.me Authenticator app on your phone as your required multi-factor authentication
You will have the choice of authenticating using a phone, or the ID.me Authenticator smartphone app, or code generator application (see Graphic 12 below). ID.me will either send you a security code via text or voice or send you a push notification via the ID.me app to complete the two-factor authentication (2FA) process.
Graphic 12: Secure your account to complete 2FA
- Text Message or Phone Call: Enter your phone number and choose how you want to receive the security code. You can choose text message (SMS) or a phone call with the security code (see Graphic 13 below). After receiving the code, enter it on the next screen (see Graphic 14 below) to confirm your phone number. Then click Continue.
Graphic 13: Authentication code via phone
Graphic 14: Enter 6-digit code to confirm phone number
- ID.me Authenticator app (required for EPCS): Enter your phone number to receive a link to download the ID.me Authenticator app (see Graphic 15 below). Click the link and follow the steps to download the app (see Graphic 16 below). Once you have download the app, ID.me will send you a push notification via the ID.me app to complete the two-factor authentication (2FA) process.
Graphic 15: Choose app download method
Graphic 16: ID.me Authenticator app for download
- Code Generator Application: Select code generator application. You will see a QR code on the screen (see Graphic 17 below). If you do not already have a code generator app like ID.me Authenticator, download the app. This will be used to generate a single-use code for signing in. Once you have download the app and scanned the QR code, enter the the 6-digit code from the ID.me app (see Graphic 18 below) to complete the two-factor authentication (2FA) process.
Graphic 17: Scan QR code with code generator application
Graphic 18: Enter 6-digit code after scanning
A recovery code can be used in the event you lose access to your two-factor authentication device (see Graphic 19 below). Click Generate recovery code and save the code, or click Continue to skip this step.
Graphic 19: Recovery code
5C. Verify your personal details
ID.me uses this information along with details from your credit profile to verify your identity. The security of your information is taken very seriously and your personal information or credit history is never shared with anyone else. Verifying your identity with us will NOT change your credit score. If you've frozen your credit report, contact ID.me and they will send you a personal identification number (PIN) so you can share your free credit report with them. You only need to share your credit report once.
Enter your information as it appears on your credit report:
- Name, Date of Birth, and Social Security Number: Enter your legal name, your date of birth, and social security number as shown in Graphic 20 below. Click Continue.
- Address: Enter your home address as shown in Graphic 21 below and click Continue.
- Phone number: ID.me will verify your identity by making sure the phone number you enter matches the phone number in your credit profile, or they will check your mobile carrier. Select the phone type you have as shown in Graphic 22 and click Continue.
- Confirm your information Review the information that you entered. Click Edit next to the section if information needs to be changed. Once confirmed that the information is correct, click the checkbox as shown in Graphic 23 to accept the use of the Fair Credit Reporting Act data to verify your identity.
Graphic 20: Enter your personal information
Graphic 21: Enter most recent home address
Graphic 22: Select type of phone
Graphic 23: Confirm information is correct
5D. Verify your identity
Select one of the methods below to verify your identity (see Graphic 24 below). You can answer security questions based on your credit history or upload a photo of a government ID along with a photo of yourself to verify your identity.
- Answer questions about your credit history Click Start Now. Answer multiple choice verification questions based on your credit profile and financial activity. Then click Continue.
- Upload photos of your license or state ID Upload photos of your driver’s license and enter your social security number. Then ID.me will confirm your identity with public records.
- Upload a photo of your passport Upload a photo of your passport and enter your social security number. Then ID.me will confirm your identity with public records.
- Upload photos of your passport card Upload photos of your passport card and enter your social security number. Then ID.me will confirm your identity with public records.
Graphic 24: Answer security questions and verify identity
6. Authorize Practice Fusion
After verifying your identity using one of the methods above, click Allow as shown in the Graphic 25 below.
Graphic 25: Authorize Practice Fusion
7. Your eRx will be pending approval
You will be prompted to log back into Practice Fusion (see Graphic 26 below). Click on the eRx tile. You will be pending approval while our team verifies your medical credentials as shown in Graphic 27 below. This process can take up to seven business days and you will receive an email confirmation when your credentials have been approved.
Graphic 26: Log back into Practice Fusion
Graphic 27: Pending Approval Notification
8. Your eRx is enabled
Once you have been enabled, the e-Prescribing tile will display as Complete on the Practice Fusion Dashboard and also in the eRx sign up as shown in Graphic 28 below. For additional information, please see: How do I send an eRx?
Graphic 28: E-Prescribing sign-up complete
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you ask me questions related to my credit history?
E-prescribing is a highly regulated clinical process and as a result, it is necessary to include security protocols to ensure that the services are only accessed by appropriately credentialed medical professionals. This is a secure ID.me service to help authenticate the identity of every provider who uses our e-prescribing platform. This service is only used to verify a provider’s identity. This is an identity check, not a credit check.
How long does it take to activate e-prescribing?
After entering your medical credentials and completing identity verification through ID.me, our Medical Credentials verification team will review and verify your medical credentials. This can take up to seven business days. If you are enabled to e-prescribe using another EHR vendor, processing and verification may take additional time as supplemental verification may be required. You'll receive an email notification once you are enabled for e-prescribing in Practice Fusion.
To view the status of your e-prescribing request, select the e-Prescribing tile on your Practice Dashboard. For additional information, click here.
What is ID.me and why is it asking for my personal information?
Practice Fusion utilizes ID.me, a trusted digital identity network or credential service provider, to meet Surescripts requirements for identity verification and e-prescribing enablement. Your personal information will be only be used to verify your identity.
What if I fail the verification process?
If you fail the identity verification process, a message will be displayed indicating that the number of allowable attempts has been reached and you will need to try again later.
For additional information, please see: What if I fail e-Prescribing verification?
How do I resend my security code if I didn't initially receive it?
If you need to receive the security code again by voice or text, select the Re-send the code via text or Re-send the code via voice link on the Enter Security Code screen to send a new code.