Note: Access to the EHR features described in this article may differ for practices who have already purchased a Practice Fusion EHR subscription plan. Please contact Practice Fusion Customer Service for additional information.
Save time e-prescribing with Practice Fusion. With e-prescribing enabled, you'll be able to:
- Reduce phone calls to the pharmacy.
- Fulfill refill requests in two clicks.
- Submit prior authorizations electronically.
To Sign-up for eRx
1. Open your Dashboard and select the
Note: Reference the status (ie: Incomplete, Pending) and details listed on the tile throughout this process for more information about the current state of your request. For more information, click here.
2. Prepare for e-prescribing
Confirm that you have access to the following resources prior to beginning the eRx sign-up process:
- Recent credit report
- Medical credentials for verification
- Personal credit card
- Access to the phone listed on your credit report
Click Get started to begin the verification process.
3. Confirm your legal name
Enter your legal name and click Continue.
4. Submit your medical credentials for
After entering your medical credentials, review the terms and conditions and click Verify medical credentials.
5. Verify your identity with Norton Symantec
After clicking Launch Norton Symantec, you will be logged out of Practice Fusion and directed into Norton Symantec to verify your identity. The verification process includes four steps:
- Step A: Confirm your email address
- Step B: Verify personal details
- Step C: Answer security questions
- Step D: Enter security code
5A. Confirm your email address.
Norton Symantec will send a confirmation link to the email address you use to log in to Practice Fusion. Click Confirm Now to validate your email address, then click Continue.
5B. Verify your
- Name: Your first and last name will populate with the legal name entered in Step 3.
- Contact Information: Enter your home address and all applicable phone numbers. Note: We recommend using the phone number from your credit report. Additionally, the address entered must be associated with the personal credit card number entered on the next screen.
- Date of Birth and Social Security Number
- Personal credit card number: This must be a personal credit card, and not a debit or corporate card number. Ensure this credit card is a frequently-used credit card with a billing address that matches your home address. Your credit card will not be charged and will not be saved. It will only be used to confirm your name and address.
Note: Entry of your credit card information is required solely in order to: (1) complete an identity verification check based on your personal credit history; and (2) confirm that you are the person attempting to complete the e-prescribing sign-up process as the prescribing provider. Once again, your credit card information will not be saved or stored by Practice Fusion.
5C. Answer security
Answer multiple choice questions based on your credit history, then click Continue. Click Allow to continue the enrollment process.
5D. Enter security code
You will be prompted to enter a security code, then click Verify. You may receive the code via two methods:
- Phone (recommended): If either phone number entered during Step 5B matches your credit records, you will receive a voice or SMS security code to that phone. If your home number matched, you will receive the security code by voice. If your mobile number matched, you will receive the code by SMS.
- USPS mail to your verified home address: You will need to wait up to 10 business days to receive a USPS letter from Symantec to your verified home address containing a security code. To continue the verification process after receiving your code, navigate back to the Practice Fusion Dashboard and select the e-Prescribing tile. Click Launch Norton Symantec and you will be prompted to enter the code.
6. Your eRx will be pending
You will be prompted to log back into Practice Fusion. Our team will verify your medical credentials. This process should no more than seven business days and you will receive an email confirmation when your credentials have been approved.
7. Your eRx is enabled
Once you have been enabled, the e-Prescribing tile will display as Complete on the Dashboard. For additional information, please see: How do I send an eRx?
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you ask me questions
related to my credit history?
Electronic prescribing (e-prescribing) is a highly regulated clinical process and as a result, it is necessary to include security protocols to ensure that the services are only accessed by appropriately credentialed medical professionals. This is a secure Norton Symantec service to help authenticate the identity of every provider who uses our e-prescribing platform. This service is only used to verify a provider’s identity. To be clear, this is an identity check, and not a credit check.
How long does it take to
After entering your medical credentials and completing identity verification through Norton Symantec, our Medical Credentials verification team will review and verify your medical credentials. This should take no more than seven business days. If you are enabled to e-prescribe using another EHR vendor, processing and verification may take additional time as supplemental verification may be required. You'll receive an email notification once you are enabled for e-prescribing in Practice Fusion.
To view the status of your
e-prescribing request, select the e-Prescribing tile on your Practice
Dashboard. For additional information, click here.
What is Norton Symantec and
why is it asking for my personal information?
Practice Fusion utilizes Norton Symantec, a credential service provider, to meet Surescripts requirements for identity verification and e-prescribing enablement. Your personal information will be only be used to verify your identity.
What if I fail the verification
If you fail the identity verification process, a message will be displayed indicating that the number of allowable attempts has been reached and you will need to try again later.
For additional information, please see: What if I fail e-Prescribing verification?
Which credit card should I
use to verify my identity?
You must use a personal credit card, and not a debit or corporate card number. Ensure this credit card is a frequently-used credit card with a billing address that matches your home address. Your credit card will not be charged and will not be saved.
What if I don't have a credit card?
At this time, Norton Symantec requires a personal credit card number to complete the necessary verification.
How do I resend my security code if I didn't
initially receive it?
If you need to receive the security code again by voice or text, select the Re-send the code via text or Re-send the code via voice link on the Enter Security Code screen to send a new code.
If you need to receive the code again by USPS mail, click the Send Code again link on the Enter Your Mail Code screen. Please note that you will need to complete the identity verification process again to reissue the activation code by mail.