Adding a vaccine or immunization to the patient chart
1. Within the Immunizations section of the patient chart, click Add vaccine.
2. Select if you are administering the vaccine, documenting a historical vaccine, or documenting a refused vaccine.
3. Search for the vaccine with a minimum of 2 characters and select the desired vaccine. The immunizations available for selection are based on current CDC vaccines. You may search by vaccines by brand name or vaccine name, and Practice Fusion will automatically display the corresponding brand and vaccine names. Note: Vaccines in inventory are distinguished when you search the vaccine list. These will be indicated by the ‘From your inventory header’.
4. Complete the required fields. You can select which user within the practice ordered and/or administered a vaccine using the Administered by drop-down menu. It’s important to note that registries prefer that either the Ordering or Administering provider have an NPI recorded. If either of these providers selected does not have an NPI in the EHR, we will prompt you with a link to update the user profile upon trying to save the vaccine. You also have the option to input Source, Body site, Route, VIS edition, Registry notifications, VFC financial class, Time administered and Comments.
Note: If you select a vaccine from your inventory, certain fields such as lot number, expiration date, and manufacturer will automatically populate. You will need to manually enter these fields when selecting a vaccine that is not in your inventory.
5. Once complete, click Save or Add another to continue entering additional vaccines.
Recording immunizations administered by another provider
You may record historical vaccines directly within the patient chart. Only the Vaccine and Source for information is required when entering historical vaccines.
Select Historical, search for the desired vaccine by entering 2+ characters in the search bar and select the vaccine. You may also enter Date Administered, Administered Facility and Comments, if needed.
Recording refused immunizations
You may record vaccines that a patient has refused within the patient chart. Only the Vaccine and reason refused are required, though we recommend recording all details for eCQMs.
To print immunizations, click the “Actions” menu in the top right corner and select “Print vaccinations".
Exporting and Transmitting Immunizations Electronically
Practice Fusion has partnered with a third party organization to connect Practice Fusion providers to over 48 state and local immunization registries. This functionality allows you to electronically transmit HL7 immunization records from patient charts to your local public health registry, which can help you complete quality program measures for Medicaid's EHR Incentive Program (Meaningful Use) and Medicare's Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS).
To electronically transmit immunization records, click the Transmit All button in the top corner. Alternatively, click the Actions drop down and select "Transmit to state registry". Please note that you will first need to connect Practice Fusion with your registry following the steps outlined here. The recorded facility associated with each immunization will determine which registry the record is transmitted to.
You can review the transmission status of each vaccine entered in the patient's chart under the Date Transmitted/Registry column. For instructions on recording a vaccine for electronic submission, see: How do I record a vaccination to transmit successfully to my immunization registry?
For information on creating a custom vaccine see How do I add a custom immunization or vaccine?