If a practice administrator enables this feature, patients 18-85 years old will automatically be invited to register for Patient Portal access. As long as you have their email address, phone number and a chart note recorded for a patient, the patient and/or patient authorized representative will receive an email invitation with instructions on how to register for their Patient Portal.
In addition to saving your staff time, auto-invite can help you meet certain requirements for Quality Payment Programs. For example, Promoting Interoperability Transition Measure: Provide Patient Access and Medicaid Meaningful Use Stage 2 Objective 8: Patient Electronic Access. See more about how Patient Portal access and auto-invite relate to Meaningful Use here.
1. Auto-invites will be sent by email for both signed and unsigned encounters.
a. Signed encounters: Patient Portal invitations will be sent shortly after signing an encounter
b. Unsigned encounters: Patient Portal invitations will be sent 30 days after the date of the visit
2. Account administrators have full control over auto-invite settings and other patient communications, such as email appointment reminders. See Graphic 1 to manage your auto-invite preferences within the EHR Settings by selecting Patient communications.
Graphic 1: Patient communications in EHR settings
3. Within your Patient communications settings, select the PHR invite tab. And use the check boxes to manage users PHR invitation settings as displayed in Graphic 2, below.
Graphic 2: Patient Fusion (PHR) Invitation settings
4. If you or your administrator have enabled Patient Portal auto-invite, you should also ensure the following information is up-to-date in your patient charts:
Email address: The Patient Portal invitation will be sent to the email address listed in the Profile section of the patient chart
Phone number: Auto-invitations require that a patient verify their identity by entering the phone number listed in the Profile section of their chart
Date of birth: Auto-invitations also require a patient to verify their identity by entering the date of birth listed in the Profile section of their chart (in MM/DD/YYYY format)
For more information, please see How does a patient register for their Patient Portal?
What if I don’t want a patient automatically invited to the PHR?
If you have specific patients you don’t wish to be auto-invited after creating a chart note for them, you may disable auto-invite within their chart following the steps below.
1. Click on the Patient Portal enrollment status in the patient chart header as displayed in Graphic 3, below.
Graphic 3: Patient Fusion (PHR) Invite status section
2. Within the Patient portal access window shown in Graphic 4, toggle the Auto-send invitation to patient after visit button to Off. If you would like to provide access to the patient or patient-authorized representative, you may still manually enroll them.
Graphic 4: Patient portal access window
Medications, Diagnoses, Allergies & Immunizations
Procedures and care plans that you have recorded in signed chart notes
Upcoming or past appointments