Once you've been activated for e-prescribing (eRx), you'll be able to electronically submit prescriptions to the pharmacy of your patient's choice. eRx-enabled providers or pre-selected practice members can quickly search for and select a pharmacy when drafting e-prescriptions. Practice staff can also enter a patient’s preferred pharmacy in advance to expedite the e-prescribing workflow. Scroll to the Selecting a preferred pharmacy section of this article to learn more.
Selecting a pharmacy during the e-prescribing workflow
eRx-enabled providers or other practice members who have the ability to create prescription drafts will be prompted to select a pharmacy on the last step of the e-prescribing workflow. For detailed instructions on the complete eRx workflow, see How do I send eRx?
2. If you have selected a preferred pharmacy for the patient, it will automatically be populated to help save time. Scroll to the Selecting a preferred pharmacy section of this article to learn more. If no preferred pharmacy is listed but you have previously sent an eRx for the patient, the most recently used pharmacy will be populated. Click Change or the pencil icon to search for a different pharmacy.
3. To select from a list of the patient’s previously used pharmacies, click the blue tab on the left side of the Summary window to expand the fly-out pane.
4. After clicking Add a pharmacy or Change, you can use the basic search to filter by:
- Pharmacy type
- Pharmacy name
- Pharmacy zip code
- Pharmacies near the facility or patient address
5. Click Additional search options to filter by:
- Phone number
- Acceptance of controlled substances
- Pharmacy hours
6. After reviewing the search results, click Select to assign a pharmacy to the order. You can also select Map to view a pharmacy’s location in relation to the patient or facility address.
Selecting a preferred pharmacy
Adding a preferred pharmacy to the patient profile for all your current and new patients can help your practice save time by eliminating the need to enter this information during the prescribing workflow.
1. On the patient Profile tab, scroll to the Preferred Pharmacy section and select Add preferred pharmacy.
2. Similar to the pharmacy search during the e-prescribing workflow, you can:
- Select from a list of the patient’s previous pharmacies, if available
- Use the basic search to filter by pharmacy type, name, or zip code
- Use additional search options to filter by address, state, city, phone number, acceptance of controlled substances, and pharmacy hours
Search for pharmacies near the
practice facility or patient address
3. Select the Map link to view a pharmacy’s location in relation to the patient or practice facility address. After reviewing the search results, click Select to assign it as the preferred pharmacy, then click Close.
4. The preferred pharmacy will display on the Profile tab and will auto-populate as the pharmacy of choice when sending an electronic prescription for that patient. To remove the pharmacy, click the x button to the right of the entry.
5. Click on the pharmacy entry to view a map of the pharmacy’s location and its relation to the practice facility or patient address. To select a new preferred pharmacy, click Back to search.
Tips for better pharmacy search:
- When searching for a pharmacy, it is best to use broad search criteria in order to get accurate results.
- We recommend searching for a pharmacy by zip code only. Many pharmacies have a particular spelling that won't be matched by a general search. For these reasons, we recommend leaving the name, street, and phone fields empty and searching the database of over 65,000 pharmacies by zip code.
- If the zip code isn't known, you can search by city and state or use a 3rd party search engine to locate the pharmacy's zip code. The specific address, e.g. 123 S. Main Street, may not match exactly how the pharmacy appears in the system.
- A common pitfall when searching for a Wal-Mart pharmacy is to type Walmart instead of Wal-Mart. Try searching instead for the first word, wal.
- The list of pharmacies available for e-prescribing is managed and maintained by our partner electronic prescription network. Because pharmacies are constantly being added and removed from the list, our partner does not offer a standalone list. The best place to find pharmacies is through our pharmacy search tool.