Does NYSDOH accept HL7 2.5.1 files?
The New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) can accept immunization registry test files that are formatted according to the HL7 2.5.1 standard from providers who live outside of New York City. NYSDOH is using the New York State Immunization Information System (NYSIIS) for providers that live outside of New york City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx and Staten Island). Please note that providers located in New York City do not report immunizations to NYSIIS, but to the New York City’s Citywide Immunization Registry, CIR. For an overview of the Meaningful Use public health measures supported by the NYSDOH, please refer to the NYSDOH Meaningful Use overview page.
Follow the steps below to connect with your local immunization registry:
Eligible Professionals and Eligible Hospitals in NYS (outside of NYC) must use the NYSIIS HL7 specifications for HL7 messaging when submitting data to NYSIIS. Please send an email to MUPublicHealthHELP@health.state.ny.us to request a copy of the specifications.
How do I connect Practice Fusion with my registry in order to meet Medicaid's Meaningful Use requirements?
1. Register with NYSDOH For information on registering your intent to submit immunization data electronically to NYSDOH, visit the NYSDOH Registration Instructions page. If your organization has not registered or does not have a NYSIIS id, you will be required to send NYSIIS your information so that they can create an NYSIIS id for you. Send the following information:
- Site Name
- Contact Person
- Contact email
- Contact phone number
- Does the site administer vaccinations to persons under 19 (Yes/No)
- Does the site participate in the VFC program
- Is the site submitting data to NYSIIS at the moment
Note: if you are a Medicare clinician participating in the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS), additional guidance for new registrations has not yet been provided. If you have already completed NYSDOH registration previously, your active engagement will continue. If you are a new registrant, please contact NYSDOH directly for information.
2A. Providers who are interested in submitting immunization data to NYSIIS (pediatric clinics, VFC providers, etc.) should follow the steps below to submit. (Note: If you are solely interested in meeting Meaningful Use requirements, please proceed to step 2B below.) Manually export immunization files from Practice Fusion and upload them to NYSIIS until testing is completed with our pilot provider.
- To download an immunization file, navigate to a patient’s Summary and select Immunizations from the Go To menu. Click Download in the top-left as shown in Graphic 1 below.
Graphic 1: Download Immunization File
Select New York State Immunization Information System (NYSIIS) from the drop-down menu as shown in Graphic 2 below.
Graphic 2: Select NYSIIS
- You can then save the file to your computer and submit it to NYSIIS. You must continue to download and submit immunization files until NYSIIS has completing testing with the pilot provider. If you are interested in becoming a pilot provider, please contact NYSIIS for additional information.
- Do not proceed with the next steps outlined below.
2b. Providers who are solely interested in meeting Meaningful Use requirements should sign up for an integration through Practice Fusion in Immunization Settings Ensure that the following information has been accurately entered into the EHR in the applicable areas: Provider name, Primary facility address, and NPI. This information will be sent to your registry during the testing process. For more information on how to edit facility and practice information, click here.
3. Navigate to Practice Fusion’s Immunization Settings. Click Settings, then select Immunization registry under the Vaccines and Immunizations header as shown in Graphic 3 below.
Graphic 3: Immunization Registry Settings
4. Connect Practice Fusion to your state registry. Under Step 2: Connect, select Connect an EHR facility to your state registry as shown in Graphic 4 below.
Graphic 4: Connect EHR to State Registry
5. Register facility. Select a facility and the receiving registry from the drop-down menus (see Graphic 5 below). Each facility in your practice will need to register separately using this workflow.
Graphic 5: Register Facility
6. Enter Production and Testing information. Enter your specific production and/or testing identifiers based on which fields are available to you after selecting your registry, then select Register (see Graphic 6 below). Click the info button to learn more about the identifier. If you do not know any of the information required in this section, make sure to contact your local registry.
Graphic 6: Production and Testing Information
7. Activate your immunization integration in the Immunization registry settings page. Immediately after you register with NYSIIS, navigate back to your Immunization registry settings page and activate your integration as shown in Graphic 7 below.
Graphic 7: Activate Immunization Registry Integration
8. Submit test patient immunization files to NYSIIS. Create test patients in Practice Fusion using the test patient specifications in Graphic 8 below:
Graphic 8: Testing Specifications
9. Submit immunization records directly to your local registry. Once activated, you can electronically submit immunization files to your registry for each patient. Go to the Immunizations section and click Transmit all. Alternatively, click the Actions drop-down and select Transmit to state registry (see Graphic 9 below). This meets one of the definitions of “active engagement”, the requirement for this Meaningful Use objective. No further action is required until NYSIIS invites you to onboard and submit real patient data to their production environment.
Graphic 9: Transmit Immunization Records
- For instructions on adding a vaccine, see How do I record a vaccination to transmit successfully to my immunization registry?
- Questions about the Meaningful Use Public Health Measures should be sent to MUPublicHealthHELP@health.state.ny.us.