Note: Access to the EHR features described in this article may differ for practices who have already purchased a Practice Fusion EHR subscription plan. Please contact Practice Fusion Customer Service for additional information.
Practice Fusion is excited to announce that e-prescribing for controlled substances, or EPCS, is available for customers in select states. Practice Fusion’s EPCS feature is certified and meets all DEA requirements, and we’re working to expand availability of this important feature to additional states. Once you’ve activated the EPCS feature in your Practice Fusion account, EPCS-enabled prescribers can begin sending e-prescriptions and processing e-refill requests for controlled substances. The workflows for sending e-prescriptions and processing refill requests for controlled substance are similar to the workflows for non-controlled substances, though they entail additional steps.
Sending an eRx for controlled substances
You can create an e-prescription from multiple places in the patient chart, including the Summary tab and within the Plan section of an encounter.
1. To add a new medication to the
plan section of a patient’s encounter and send an e-prescription, scroll to the
Plan section of the encounter and
2. Expand the fly-out pane and select the Medications tab. Click Record to search for a new medication. Note: If you select a medication from your Frequent list or the patient's medication list, it will first be attached to the encounter. Once attached, click on the medication name to create a new prescription.
3. Type the first few letters of the medication name to search. The most common route, strength, and form will appear at the top of the list. The search results will display both generic and brand choices, based on the active ingredient of the drug you searched for.
4. After selecting a medication, enter the SIG. Click Enter Shorthand to choose from a list of the most common SIGs for the medication you selected. Alternatively, type in the free-text field below. Click Order to begin creating the prescription.
5. Review the patient’s drug formulary and any drug interaction or drug allergy alerts if present.
6. Click Next to enter the dispense quantity and units. You may also use the fly-out pane to review the patient’s recent prescription details. Although you may send a custom note to the pharmacy using the Note to pharmacy field, this field should not contain redundant or conflicting information that has already been entered as part of the prescription. You may also record an internal Rx comment for your own reference. Once you have completed the necessary fields, click Next.
For Schedule II medications, additional fields are required:
- Number of days’ supply
- Earliest fill date
Note: The Refills field cannot be edited for Schedule II medications.
7. On the Order Summary screen, check the Ready to sign box for each controlled substance that is included in the order prior to sending the prescription electronically.
8. Select a pharmacy to fill the order. If the order includes at least one controlled substance, the pharmacy selected must be able accept controlled substances. This will be indicated next to the pharmacy type.
9. If applicable law requires you to identify the Supervising provider, please select from the drop-down menu. Note: Only providers who are active in the EHR and enabled for e-Prescribing will be displayed in the drop down.
10. Once you have reviewed, confirmed and approved the prescription summary, click Send eRx.
11. You will be prompted to complete two-factor authentication. Enter your Practice Fusion password and the newest security code displayed within the VIP Access application on your smartphone. Click Sign and Send.
Note: If you have included multiple prescriptions for controlled substances in the order, you will only need to enter the security code once.
12. Once your password and security code are confirmed, the order will be sent electronically.
Processing refill requests for controlled substances
Once you’ve activated the EPCS feature in your Practice Fusion account, EPCS-enabled prescribers can begin processing e-refill requests for controlled substances.
1. To process a refill request, select the Refill requests tab in your Tasks list. Click Review to open the request.
2. The system will search for the appropriate patient based
on the demographic information listed within the request. Click Assign to associate the request with the
patient displayed or, if necessary, search for a different patient.
3. Review the refill request to ensure that all information is correct. Please note the following:
- The dose and quantity cannot be edited. If you would like to update the dose or quantity, you will need to deny the request and send a new prescription.
- Refills of Schedule II medications are not permitted under federal law. Providers who receive refills requests for these medications must select Deny or Deny Refill, Script to Follow to send a new e-prescription.
4. Check the Ready to sign box before clicking Approve.
5. You will be prompted to complete two-factor authentication. Enter your Practice Fusion password and the newest security code displayed within the VIP Access application on your smartphone. Click Sign and Send.
6. Once your password and security token have been confirmed, the refill approval will be sent electronically to the pharmacy.
For additional information, please see: