Add multiple vitals to a single encounter
Review and edit vitals from previous encounters
Enter additional properties for vitals, such as blood pressure measurement location and patient position
Any user with an edit level of Nurse or higher is able to enter and edit vitals within a flowsheet.
Adding vitals to a flowsheet
By default, all patients have a vitals flowsheet. The vitals flowsheet is accessible in a patient’s chart:
On the Summary tab under the Flowsheets header.
Within an encounter under the Flowsheets header.
Within an encounter, scroll down to the Flowsheets header to begin documenting vitals. You will see the default flowsheet, as well as any custom flowsheets that you have added to the patient’s chart. Note: You will follow these same steps when adding and editing vitals from the patient’s Summary.
1. To begin adding vitals, click into the first cell within the last column. Alternatively, click the + icon or the Add column button.
2. Select the encounter date for the column by clicking on the drop down box next to Encounter. You may either create a new encounter or choose an existing encounter. You may also enter or edit the Collected date/time and Column date. Note: When entering vitals within an encounter, the date of service for the note you’re editing will be the default for the new column.
3. Click into a cell to begin recording vitals. Type in the values for the vitals and press the tab key to go to the next vital.
4. For certain vitals, you’ll be able to include additional details such as measurement site, body position or a specific comment by clicking into the cell. After entering the details, click Save. This data will be visible when printing the flowsheet. You’ll also see a comment icon next to vitals that have comments.
5. Once you have added your vitals, click Save within the column header to confirm you’d like to associate those vitals with the encounter.
Be sure to click the Refresh button to view the most up-to-date flowsheet information.
In addition to adding new vitals, you can review and edit vitals from previous visits directly within your encounter. This will also update the vitals for the encounters they are associated with. There are two options for editing vitals for previous visits:
Option 1: Click on any blue value or any blank cell where the header is blue. Blue text indicates that the value can be edited since the encounter has not yet been signed.
Option 2: Click on the date in the header of a column.
This allows you to edit all of the values in that column. You can press the tab key on your keyboard to navigate between the fields. To change the date or time for the column or enter comments, click the date/time header again.
Note: Be sure to click the Refresh button to view the most up-to-date flowsheet information.
Adding multiple vitals to a single encounter
You can now enter multiple vitals in a single encounter. For example, you can document a patient’s blood pressure reading in both the standing and lying position for a single visit, or you may record blood pressure at both the start and end of the visit. Once you have entered the vital reading for the first time, click the + sign to add a new column to the flowsheet. When prompted to select an encounter date, select the same encounter date as the one previously selected for that visit. You may also adjust the Collected time, then click Save. You can then document the vitals a second time in the new column.
Adding comments to vitals and sets of vitals
You can now add a comment to the entire set of vitals (e.g. to indicate why you collected another set) or to an individual vital (e.g. to indicate a reason for an abnormal measurement).
To add a comment on a column, click the column header. Then, click on the date to open the Set column date and time window. You will then be able to enter any applicable comments.
Once you have entered your comment, click Save. Any column containing comments will be denoted with the icon below. All comments will appear when printing your flowsheet.
To enter a comment for a particular vital, click into the cell.
Similar to comments associated with a column, an icon will display on the cell if comments have been added.
We have several vitals that you can choose to record, including the following:
Last menstrual period
Fetal heart rate
Fetal position (by palpation)
Fetal position (by ultrasound)
For more information on flowsheets, please see: