To e-sign prescriptions for controlled substances in Practice Fusion, you’ll need to use VIP Access, a smartphone app from Norton Symantec. In the event that you deleted the app or need to change the smartphone associated with your EPCS account, you will need to re-download the app and link it again to your Practice Fusion account.
Changing or adding a new VIP Access app
You must first download the VIP Access app to your smartphone from your phone’s app store. Once downloaded, link the application to your Practice Fusion account using the steps outlined below.
1. On your Dashboard, select the Controlled substances eRx tile as shown in Graphic 1 below.
Graphic 1: EPCS tile
2. Select Manage access controls as shown in Graphic 2 below. If you are linking the VIP Access for the first time, please click here.
Graphic 2: Manage Access Controls
3. You will be prompted to approve request on your VIP Access app. Choose a different method from the dropdown menu as shown in Graphic 3 below.
Graphic 3: Choose Different Method
4. Enter the security code and select the Verify and go to settings checkbox as shown in Graphic 4 below. Then click Verify.
Graphic 4: ‘Verify and go to settings’ Checkbox
5. Select Add a new method as shown in Graphic 5 below.
Graphic 5: Add New Method
6. Select VIP Security Token, then click Next as shown in Graphic 6 below.
Graphic 6: Select VIP Security Token
7. When you reinstall the VIP Access app on your smartphone, the app will display your new credential ID (unique to the particular installation of the app) and six-digit security code (updates every 30 seconds) as shown in Graphic 7 below. Enter the credential ID and security code into Norton Symantec and click Next as shown in Graphic 8 below.
Graphic 7: Credential ID and Security Code on VIP Access app
Graphic 8: Enter Credential ID and Security Code
8. Notice the new VIP Access app under Secondary Method (see Graphic 9 below). Click Make Default, then click Done to make this your primary method. This will link to your Practice Fusion account and can be used to both confirm e-signing permissions and sign e-prescriptions for controlled substances.
Graphic 9: Make Default
Why do I need a smartphone?
A smart phone is required to use the Norton Symantec VIP Access app, which will be linked to your Practice Fusion account. The VIP Access app is used to generate the time-sensitive, one-time password that is used to both confirm changes to e-signing controls and is also used to e-sign prescriptions for a controlled substance. For more information on how to send and approve e-prescriptions for controlled substances, click here.