With our bi-directional appointment booking feature, your patients can seamlessly request to reschedule and cancel their existing appointments via their Patient Fusion patient portal.
Note: Patients must have access to the patient portal in order to submit a reschedule or cancellation request. For more information, see What is Patient Fusion (patient portal)?
Patient requests to reschedule
Reschedule requests will display as ‘Reschedule appointment’ notifications within the Appointment Requests tab of your Schedule. Both the original time and newly requested time will be listed. Note: The appointment will not be rescheduled until your practice has approved or denied your request.
You have the option to:
Approve the new time
Deny and keep the original appointment
Select Reschedule to suggest a new time (this process is detailed below)
Cancel the appointment
Upon approving the rescheduled time, the appointment will automatically be added to your schedule. The patient will receive a notification via email.
If the requested time does not work:
1. If the requested time does not work for your practice, you can click Reschedule to suggest a new time.
2. The window will expand to allow you to assign the request to a patient and enter the new date and time in the When section. Once completed, click Propose Changes.
3. You will be prompted to provide a reason for changing the appointment and can compose an optional message, then click Send.
The patient will receive a notification of the proposed date and time via email. The patient can then approve the new time from within their patient portal. If the patient needs to reschedule the proposed time, they will need to call the office.
The appointment will appear as Tentative on your schedule until the patient has approved the new time.
If necessary, you can remove the appointment altogether by selecting Cancel appt. under the update appointment drop-down.
To manually update the appointment, without patient approval, you can click Update Appt. This will update the appointment in the practice’s schedule and in the patient’s portal.
Requests to cancel
Note: Patients can request to cancel an appointment directly within their Patient Portal. Patients must have access to their Patient Fusion account in order to request a cancellation.
Depending on your practice’s cancellation policy, the cancellation request will be listed within the Appointment Request tab for your practice to approve. If the appointment requires approval, you can then choose to Approve the cancellation request or click Reschedule to propose a new time for the appointment.
An alert will indicate if the cancellation request falls within your practice’s selected cancellation policy.
Below are the following options and correlating steps the practice can take:
Approving the cancellation
Selecting Approve Cancellation will remove the appointment from your schedule. You will be prompted to provide a reason and type an optional message, which the patient will receive via email.
Rescheduling the appointment
1. To reschedule from the cancellation request, click Reschedule. The page will expand, allowing the practice to set a new date and time.
2. Once you set a new date and time, you can click Propose changes to allow the patient to approve the new time. After clicking Propose changes, you will be prompted to provide a Reason for change with the new date and time. You can also write an optional message to the patient.
The patient can then approve or cancel the appointment entirely. If they would like to reschedule the proposed time they will need to call the office directly.
3. Your practice also has the option of clicking Update. This will automatically update the appointment details in the practice's schedule and in the patient's portal. No approval will be required from the patient.
Q: Will my patients get email notifications even if I have appointment reminders turned off?
A: It is important to note your patients will still receive email notifications regarding appointment requests, reschedules, and cancellations, even if appointment reminders have been disabled for your practice.