This article will describe adding ICD-10 diagnoses to lab and imaging orders as well as upgrading old ICD-9 diagnoses within templates and the patient history.
Starting your order
For detailed instructions on creating lab orders, see: How do I add or create a lab order?
1. Navigate to a patient chart.
2. From the Actions menu, select Add lab order.
3. Select the lab from the drop-down list or select Other.
4. To add tests, you may search for items using either the name or your lab’s test code.
Adding ICD-10 diagnoses to your lab and image ordersYou can search for a new diagnosis, select one from the patient’s diagnosis history, use an ordering template, or reference a recent order.
Searching for a new diagnosis
1. Within the Add diagnosis field, search by diagnosis name, ICD-9 code, or ICD-10 code and select the appropriate diagnosis from the drop-down menu. Note: Any diagnosis that maps to multiple ICD-10 codes will display a red alert.
2. If you select a search result that maps to only one ICD-10 code, the ICD-10 will automatically be added to the order.
If the diagnosis selected maps to multiple ICD-10 codes, use the refine search feature to narrow the list of potential results. Each filter is related to the diagnosis (i.e. gender type, trimester type).
3. Select the ICD-10 diagnosis to add it to your order.
Selecting a diagnosis from your patient’s diagnosis history
Use the patient diagnosis history panel to quickly populate diagnoses into your order.
1. If selecting an ICD-10 code, your diagnosis will simply be added to your order. If selecting an ICD-9 code, you will be presented with a list of the corresponding ICD-10 codes. If the ICD-9 code maps to one ICD-10 code, only one ICD-10 code will be listed. If the ICD-9 code maps to several ICD-10 codes, select the most applicable ICD-10 code. Use the refine search icon to narrow the list of results.
2. Click on the correct ICD-10 diagnosis to add it to the order.
Updating existing templates
Selecting a template will automatically populate your order with associated diagnoses and tests for the lab or imaging center that you've selected. Practice Fusion has made it easy to upgrade ICD-9 codes in templates directly from your ordering workflow.
1. Click on the pencil icon to the right of the template name in the Templates panel.
2. An alert will display next to any ICD-9 diagnoses. Click on the diagnosis to upgrade it to ICD-10.
3. You wi In many cases, selecting the ICD-9 code will automatically upgrade it to an ICD-10 code. If we cannot automatically map the code for you, you will be provided with a number of options to select from.
4. Select the most applicable ICD-10 code from the list of refined diagnoses. If needed, use the the refine search to help identify the correct diagnosis.
5. Click Save once you have selected your new code. You will be taken back to your lab order, where you can add the template to your existing order.
For more information, please see: