The goal of this objective is for eligible providers (EPs) to actively engage with a public health agency to submit electronic public health data from certified EHR technology (CEHRT) except where prohibited and in accordance with applicable law and practice.
This objective is comprised of three measures:
- Measure 1: Immunization Registry Reporting
- Measure 2: Syndromic Surveillance Reporting
- Measure 3: Specialized Registry Reporting
How is active engagement defined?
Any of the three criteria below are included under the umbrella of activate engagement:
- Completed Registration to Submit Data: The EP registered to submit data with the PHA or, where applicable, the CDR to which the information is being submitted; registration was completed within 60 days after the start of the EHR reporting period; and the EP is awaiting an invitation from the PHA or CDR to begin testing and validation. This option allows providers to meet the measure when the PHA or the CDR has limited resources to initiate the testing and validation process. Providers that have registered in previous years do not need to submit an additional registration to meet this requirement for each EHR reporting period.
- Testing and Validation: The EP is in the process of testing and validation of the electronic submission of data. Providers must respond to requests from the PHA or, where applicable, the CDR within 30 days; failure to respond twice within an EHR reporting period would result in that provider not meeting the measure.
- Production: The EP has completed testing and validation of the electronic submission and is electronically submitting production data to the PHA or CDR.
Providers must meet at least 2 of the 3 Public Health Reporting measures in 2017.
Review the CMS specifications for more information about this measure.
For more information about the EHR Incentive Program, you should visit the Meaningful Use Center.